• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie seeking classification help, from knowledgeable person in coin varieties

12 posts in this topic

I found a 72' memorial cent (see attachment), first letter of "united" on reverse.

IMG_1198.thumb.JPG.b5c8db199c859396232c312b6ac8cb23.JPG is this worth sending for grading?

Can anyone help verify, this is an error? Help, define?

IMG_1199.JPG

Welcome to The Forum. Your coin appears to have been damaged after it left the mint, and is not an error. Keep looking. :smile:

Bob is exactly right.  Just post-mint damage, nothing special.  Better luck next time :)

So I get the Rev scrape is PMD, but what about the Obv being sunken in like it is? That doesn't look normal. I've never seen an actual Bottle capped coin but that looks like it could be the start of what I imagine one looking like. No?

Not sure I’ve heard of, “bottle neck”, but I will look it up. Thank you. I also see from the pics I posted, why you would say damaged / post mint. Let me direct you to a better photo, same coin. So, you can see what I was talking about, not the scrape. 

Spoiler

E2D596C5-FE94-4B46-84F0-72E144DC4490.jpeg

800C54D4-D9FB-4860-B02E-632AB5EC3C46.jpeg

The rim is a little higher than usual on the obv but nothing extreme for this year.  I think the light is also coming in a very low angle causing the rim to throw a shadow and exaggerating its height.

If you are referring to the bit of metal in the center of the U, it looks like metal that was scraped off the lower and left side. That would still be post-mint damage.

2 hours ago, Nacole Wagner said:

Not sure I’ve heard of, “bottle neck”, but I will look it up. Thank you. I also see from the pics I posted, why you would say damaged / post mint. Let me direct you to a better photo, same coin. So, you can see what I was talking about, not the scrape. 

Hide contents

E2D596C5-FE94-4B46-84F0-72E144DC4490.jpeg

Sorry Nicole

Sorry Nacole, It was meant to be Bottle Cap, but Condor already explained it. But if you havent learned about it yet google has the best definitions but i think basically a coin gets stuck up in one of the dies but the stamper continues to stamp with the coin stuck in there. So the coins being stamped kind of dont have a collar so they get squooshed up or down, depending on whether the coin is stuck in the top or bottom die, around the die and it causes the coin being stamped to looky like an old glass Pepsi bottle top. I guess normally the stuck coin comes right back out but sometimes it can stay stuck until it stamps itself away amd the curvature of the ones being stamps gets less and less. I have never seen one, thanks to Condor, but in their most extreme curving they are pretty crazy looking.  Shew! I shoulda just posted a link.