• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colonial Jamestown Representative Set

8 posts in this topic

I'm expanding my set of foreign coins that circulated in the US colonies to include a specific subset of coins that have been found in Jamestown. Noodling around the internet, here's what I have so far:

English 6 pence, 1602; Irish farthings 1614-1644 (collecting 5 types); Irish penny 1601-1602; Swedish ore, 1576; German, Lubeck sechsling 1629; Netherlands, Zeeland 2 stuiver 161?; Hispaniola 4 maravedis 1542-1556.

I'm going for types within the appropriate (Jamestown) range rather than specific dates. 

Any others you are aware of to add to the list? Better yet, are you aware of a complete inventory of excavated coins (all I found were summaries and examples)? 

Many thanks. 

You might contact the Jamestown museum. They have some coins that they found on display. I only have one picture of one of them, which I took while I was there. It's hard to photograph something through a glass case when you are foot away from it. It is a James I six pence.

My "one coin or more coins for each British king collection" has James I covered with a gold unite. I doubt that many of the colonists had gold pieces.

My second coin, that is somewhat similar, is a Charles I six pence.

James I 6d Jamestown.jpg

James I Unite O.jpg

James I Unite R.jpg

Charles I 6 pence O.jpg

Charles I 6 pence R.jpg

Thanks Bill. In my larger foreign set I went with one silver coin per king, but only from Henry VII forward, in keeping with colonial dates (and my budget). Some beauties above. Of course the gold unite is really special. In my cursory research, no gold has turned up, but plenty of silver. A good thing budget-wise. I will probably add some gold at a later date, at least some representative Spanish colonial gold. Incidentally, I read in another thread that you had to do some looking for an "old" Henry VIII. I have a young Henry groat, but am now on the lookout for old Henry as the portrait is more familiar. Thanks again for the post, things are a bit quiet around here, save for the many silly error posts. .

It took me a long time to find a "decent" example of the "old Henry VIII" portrait coin. I thought the it would much easier. I have a young Henry coin that is a very nice AU with lots of luster. The "Old Henry" is what I would grade EF. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

As for my British king set I started with Edward the Confessor and moved forward. I have a couple of the earlier kings, Edward was my "official" start.

Some king's coin are all horrible, especially from William II (Rufus) to Stephen. You just have to accept that.

I found another collector who had the same idea, and wrote a blog about it (along with lots of other subjects) here:

Collecting Jamestown.

Also, if you could get your hands on a copy of the list of artifacts found at Jamestown from the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Artifacts, It would probably have what you are looking for.

Here is the Henry VIII "old portrait" coin I promised to post. This one actually looks better in person than it does in this photo. The "old portrait" coins are harder to find nice than you might think.

Henry VIII Groat O.jpg

Henry VIII Groat R.jpg

Thanks Bill. Yours is far nicer than any that I have located thus far, thanks for posting. Perhaps this portrait is in higher demand than young Henry. I, for one, relate better to old Henry, attitude-wise. I'll keep looking. 

As a follow-up, finding coins representing Jamestown dug coins has put some stress-free fun back in collecting. Since I'm looking for coins that might have been used by colonists I'm putting together decent circulated examples. The most I've spent for any of these coins so far is $155, with most far less. Some from Europe, some from here. Only one slab so far. Each coin is a learning experience

I'm now considering similar projects such as Gettysburg and Custer's Last Stand. I recall reading about recovered coins at both sites.