• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976-D Bicentennial Quarter Weighs 5.48

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

i was reading the recent posting and a gentleman mentioned he had a 1976 no mint mark that weighed 5.9.  Well that got me to weighing my small collection and the one you see in the picture only weighed 5.48. It is a 1976-D.  Has anyone ever had one weIgh this small of an amount and, does anyone know if there are error quarters that are known to weigh this or is this just another case of that tride and true outlying variance?  All of my other ones weighed no less than 5.6.  Actually only 1 weighed that and all others weighed 5.65 and over.  The coin is not in terrible condition or rubbed through constant circulation slick like or any of that.

Thanks for any advice!

1877D0F2-B58F-4094-9406-3FF5DD92A616.jpeg

96797BA4-B817-40AC-A6B3-C0DA483505AA.jpeg

Edited by Apolylogy

Well, as far as I have read/known, the weight variance for US Quarters is  +/- 0.19 grams around the actual weight (i.e. 5.67 grams). So, I guess it is less probable but can be expected.

Edit: It seems I was not completely correct.

For Silver .25c coinage the variance is +/- 0.194 g

For Clad Copper .25c coinage the variance is +/- 0.227 g.

Edited by joydeep
Punctuation, Incorrect Figures

5 hours ago, joydeep said:

For Silver .25c coinage the variance is +/- 0.194 g

That's the tolerance for post 1946 silver quarters, pre 1947 is tighter. +/- .097 grams

Oh thanks guys so much for that information and your time you took to help me.  As always, I appreciate you guys helping me learn.

As an aside, a special shout out thanks for Pre-1947 silver tolerance variance.  That definitely answers another question I won’t have to ask in the future because I have basically inherited as part of my startin, but continuing family collection a great many silver quarters , many of those many predating 1947, so that’s a huge extra bonus nugget.

Collectively, everyone is rock solid on good, useful, and especially helping information to those who seek it. Cheers to ya all!

Welcome to the boards, if you read the posts above yours 5.88 is at the upper end but within the tolerance range for clad quarters.