• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

State quarter rare or not

10 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Joaquinproudly said:

I have a 2000D south Carolina state quarter that weighs 5grams exact on my digital scale is this common?

IMG_20180501_174351.jpg

IMG_20180501_174301.jpg

I just started at all this too, but itlooks like it's rusted and maybe lost some weight with the rust coming off or something, although idk about the colors on it. I'd suggest missing clad except idt that's possible with quarters and nickels, but I know with pennies and dimes they always say if it's missing clad it will be told by the weight being less. Anyhow, just thought I'd say something cause I hate it when nobody answers me. But totally don't accept what I say as correct, cause I know nothing really.

It appears to be heavily corroded and that could easily account for the light weight.  Just out of curiosity, what does the edge look like?  It isn't visible in your pictures.

14 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I just started at all this too, but itlooks like it's rusted and maybe lost some weight with the rust coming off or something, although idk about the colors on it. I'd suggest missing clad except idt that's possible with quarters and nickels, but I know with pennies and dimes they always say if it's missing clad it will be told by the weight being less. Anyhow, just thought I'd say something cause I hate it when nobody answers me. But totally don't accept what I say as correct, cause I know nothing really.

Actually, that answer reflects good sense and high probability, and shouldn't be deprecated. Wear can remove 5-10% of a coin's weight over its life, and corrosion can cause weight loss. As you have seen, we get a lot of hopeful questions here, where people aren't sure how to interpret what they are seeing, and most of the time the short answer is 'bummer; sorry.' In any case, when one's as messed up as the pictured coin, it pretty much has to be a significant rarity otherwise in order for it to have much value. A fully authentic 1909-S VDB penny, for example, is never going to be worth just a penny even if it's bent.

31 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Am I the only person left in the world who does not own a digital scale?

You may be, but I only have one because I looked all over the place, including antique shops, for a traditional scale of the right size. I couldn't find one.

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

It's a good possibility. They are only about $10, you should def grab one.

19 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Thanks sweetie you put a big smile on my face

No, I don't have one either.  On the other hand I do have an analytical balance good to .0001 grams. (+/- .00005)

I bought one of those cheap $10 scales on ebay a few yrs back. I also have a couple 50g and one 100g weight to make sure it stays calibrated. Has and still works great.