• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd 1977 pac-man error coin found

22 posts in this topic

It appears to be a normal 1977-D Cent.  It is only worth face value.

13 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I'm out of the loop on this one. What is a "pac-man" error?

The error is in the mint mark. If you zoom in you will notice on the left hand side a pac man figure.

1 hour ago, Str8ezmoney said:

The error is in the mint mark. If you zoom in you will notice on the left hand side a pac man figure.

How did you learn about this "error"? I did some research and I found a listing on Etsy which I will post a link to so everyone can see what I'm referring to:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/592211775/1977-pac-man-error-coin?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-art_and_collectibles-collectibles-coins&utm_custom1=f29306ed-8866-4e6c-85d5-0fee4731fb2a&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3orN28Hy2gIVj4qzCh2buwijEAYYAiABEgJ73PD_BwE

Now, I've been doing coins for almost 20 years.  I'm versed in many modern varieties and I sell them here regularly.  The coin in that Etsy listing has a mint mark which is exhibiting post minting damage that to some people would make it look like Pac Man.  This is not a minting variety.  It is damage.  A little information about mintmarks as well so I can explain myself better.  Until 1990, the US Mint used letter punches to actually punch the mintmark into the working dies.  There is no way that the US Mint ever used a D mintmark punch that would account for the damage seen on the coin in the Etsy listing.  Also, take a look at the coin in the photos.......it's badly damaged and scratched all over, not just on the mintmark.  The "Pac-Man Error" is not a real thing.  This is just a damaged coin.  Your coin isn't damaged, but it is just a regular 1977-D Lincoln Cent that is worth face value.  The person who made that Etsy listing either knows very little about coins or is hoping to find someone uninformed enough to pay them an exorbitant price for a damaged, circulated cent that the mint made over 4 billion of.   Sorry for the bad news.

Edited by Mohawk

hello I"m new to collecting but i found a so called pac-man coin it:s a 1977 D which looks to be a double die mint mark but i can"t seem to get it to show up in any of the pics i took so i ordered a microscope but there is such a coin

Edited by ponch185

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:41 PM, ponch185 said:

hello I"m new to collecting but i found a so called pac-man coin it:s a 1977 D which looks to be a double die mint mark but i can"t seem to get it to show up in any of the pics i took so i ordered a microscope but there is such a coin

Hello,

If you have a 1977-D Lincoln with a doubled mintmark, which is possible, it would be considered a repunched mintmark as back in 1977, the mintmarks were hand punched onto the working dies with a letter punch.  I do not know of such an error, but it could absolutely exist.  However, the so-called "Pac-Man" is simply a damaged coin.  It is not a true error and is not a real variety.  If you do have a repunched mintmark, it would simply be called a 1977-D/D Lincoln Cent, not a "Pac-Man".  That Etsy listing is causing some trouble.......

Edited by Mohawk

On 5/6/2018 at 2:50 PM, Mohawk said:

It appears to be a normal 1977-D Cent.  It is only worth face value.

Can you possibly tell me a little something about this coin. It's a 1940 I believe a small date wheat back penny which the leaf on left is double stamped.

20181123_190154.jpg

The picture of the reverse is badly out of focus but it appears to have a retained cud on the left side with the retained portion of the die divided by another die crack.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

The picture of the reverse is badly out of focus but it appears to have a retained cud on the left side with the retained portion of the die divided by another die crack.

20181123_190053.jpg

16 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Much better.  No double striking, and it is a retained cud with additional die crack.

Exactly as Conder said.

I think ive been navigating and posting wrong by starting new topic, but I'm not sure, I started it in Ask NGC, but I found a real interesting 2018 D shield cent in my penny jar today! I posted it in Ask NGC forum about a strange 2018 explained a lot about it and posted a lot of pics so I don't want to blow up this forum up with thevsame info, I haven't had anyone reply, I think because I replied to my own to post pics and info, I apologize if I didn't do things correctly however I sure would appreciate if someone could go to the ask NGC forum and take a peek at the post/forum and see what they think about it! Strange 2018 D shield cent error. Please and Thank You Greatly, Capone1929

The answers you received in the ask ngc forum were correct.  what you have is a form of die deterioration, in fact two types.  One results in the sinking of the die causing the raised area in the left field on the obverse and the ridge parallel tothe rim on both obverse and reverse.  The second is the "drawn" effect above the lettering.  The field draws out to the rim but the letters create a "shadow" effect that makes it look like there are other letters above the regular lettering.  that metal flow is also what is drwing the initials below Lincolns shoulder out toward the rim.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:40 PM, Capone1929 said:

I think ive been navigating and posting wrong by starting new topic, but I'm not sure, I started it in Ask NGC, but I found a real interesting 2018 D shield cent in my penny jar today! I posted it in Ask NGC forum about a strange 2018 explained a lot about it and posted a lot of pics so I don't want to blow up this forum up with thevsame info, I haven't had anyone reply, I think because I replied to my own to post pics and info, I apologize if I didn't do things correctly however I sure would appreciate if someone could go to the ask NGC forum and take a peek at the post/forum and see what they think about it! Strange 2018 D shield cent error. Please and Thank You Greatly, Capone1929

What kind of coin books do you have? I recently gave a Lincoln Cent Reference book away but The Red Book is a real good start. Do you prefer Lincoln Cents in Mint State or Proof Method of Manufacture? Are there other coins you like looking at or collect?

11 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

What kind of coin books do you have? I recently gave a Lincoln Cent Reference book away but The Red Book is a real good start. Do you prefer Lincoln Cents in Mint State or Proof Method of Manufacture? Are there other coins you like looking at or collect?

Not sure about the different methods or specifics other than the die used and age of die, however I like them both, I normally read the top 50 U.S. collected coins for grading purposes and us coin book for value, however I'm always willing to learn, study, and gain knowledge, any advise or opinions are welcome, so is the 2018 D common and nothing special? Thank you for the reply, Capone1929

11 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

Not sure about the different methods or specifics other than the die used and age of die, however I like them both, I normally read the top 50 U.S. collected coins for grading purposes and us coin book for value, however I'm always willing to learn, study, and gain knowledge, any advise or opinions are welcome, so is the 2018 D common and nothing special? Thank you for the reply, Capone1929

Unless an error or extremely high grade or PL "proof like" I don't think so? Knowledgeable collectors say the Denver mint strikes coins better, higher quality, I still find that true on moderns also...the newest modern year I know more about is 2015.  Your in the right place, the people posting here with high post counts are very knowledgeable and help alot I've noticed over the years...that's why I chose here...just a better environment for everyone..people..like Condor, just Bob, they are important here...there's more I'm not listing...just saying...

On 12/2/2018 at 1:50 AM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Unless an error or extremely high grade or PL "proof like" I don't think so? Knowledgeable collectors say the Denver mint strikes coins better, higher quality, I still find that true on moderns also...the newest modern year I know more about is 2015.  Your in the right place, the people posting here with high post counts are very knowledgeable and help alot I've noticed over the years...that's why I chose here...just a better environment for everyone..people..like Condor, just Bob, they are important here...there's more I'm not listing...just saying...

Here’s a newer PL

822BD665-7A47-437A-B98A-4D18553925C3.jpeg