• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A box to store both NGC and PCGS slabs?

20 posts in this topic

I have blue PCGS boxes and white NGC boxes.

Some PCGS slabs are too thick to fit into NGC box and some NGC slabs are too tall for PCGS box.

Is there a box whitch can store both NGC /PCGS slabs comfortably?

No. It used to be the NGC boxes would hold both, but in PCGS's recent generations they went to the thicker slabs and they will no longer fit in the NGC boxes. So unless NGC changes the design on their boxes there is no longer any box it will hold both.

That's too bad.  I used to have no problem storing both slabs in NGC boxes.  Maybe I shoud  file small plastic protrusions on PCGS slabs to make them thinner.

Just angle the PCGS slabs in the NGC box. You have one less in storage, but they fit comfortably.

Are the new PCGS slabs thicker than the old NGC fatties? Those (NGC) will fit in a Whitman slab box, but they are a tight fit.

Edited to add: I just checked prices on the Whitman boxes. Evidently, they are no longer made, because Wizard does not have them, and the ones that I did find were outrageously priced.

I store my slabs in Lighthouse Intercept boxes. They don't have the nice slots that the NGC and PCGS boxes have, but they hold all manner of slabs. Supposedly, these boxes provide some protection from the environment as well, but I can't vouch for that nor am I counting on it.

The old ICG intercept boxes will hold any of the slabs, but alas I've run out of them!

On 5/5/2018 at 6:28 PM, Simple Collector said:

Looks like a nice compromise between price and quality but the link doesn't take me to the box pictured.  Can you please name the manufacturer?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bozeman said:

Looks like a nice compromise between price and quality but the link doesn't take me to the box pictured.  Can you please name the manufacturer?  Thanks.

Just scroll down the page.  You will see them.  About the same price as an NGC box, but shipping is insane.  $12 for the box, but they want $12.51 for shipping.  

19 hours ago, Just Bob said:

When (and why) did PCGS change their holders?

I think that it was a couple years ago. They are trying to get ahead of the slab counterfeiters who have been able to duplicate their old slabs to a degree. They have worked on the labels, and they have changed the composition of their slab plastic to include some metal. If you look at the old and new slabs from the edge the color is slightly different. There are also some other things they have done which have not been made public.

Old cigar boxes work fine. They'll hold any brand of plastic holder - including the large ones for medals and silver drink coasters.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:28 AM, Simple Collector said:

I don't think I could be assured that the foam bedding is inert

On 5/12/2018 at 10:26 AM, RWB said:

Old cigar boxes work fine. They'll hold any brand of plastic holder - including the large ones for medals and silver drink coasters.

The outgassing of the wood, and the remaining compounds from the tobacco, would instantly rule that out as an acceptable storage container in my opinion. 

Lowest Price On Ebay!!

Brand New!!  High Quality!!

30 Certified Coin Holder/Slab Aluminum Storage Box

This multi-coin slab aluminum box holds 30 certified coins from any of the major grading services. It is built with sturdy materials, this sleek aluminum box is crafted with attractive exterior fittings and reinforced corners. The inside of the box is fitted with foam rails along each side to keep slabs organized and separate. This aluminum slab box is a perfect way to keep certified coins safe when traveling.

The exterior measures approximately: 10" x " x 4½"

s-l1600HT5CTZ18.thumb.jpg.0cd26246632783089d3a979b3c803e50.jpg

1 hour ago, AlexStoddart said:

Lowest Price On Ebay!!

Brand New!!  High Quality!!

30 Certified Coin Holder/Slab Aluminum Storage Box

This multi-coin slab aluminum box holds 30 certified coins from any of the major grading services. It is built with sturdy materials, this sleek aluminum box is crafted with attractive exterior fittings and reinforced corners. The inside of the box is fitted with foam rails along each side to keep slabs organized and separate. This aluminum slab box is a perfect way to keep certified coins safe when traveling.

The exterior measures approximately: 10" x " x 4½"

s-l1600HT5CTZ18.thumb.jpg.0cd26246632783089d3a979b3c803e50.jpg

These are a great but really bulky. You need a lot of space for even a small collection.