• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is not a question ok?

14 posts in this topic

Excellent purchase Karen!  Those resources have served me well many times.  Enjoy the books and enjoy the hunt!

Lol! I was thinking about the dude that posts about 'post your most recent acquisition', and considering posting my books. I bet they'd get a kick out of that. 

6 hours ago, casman said:

Those books are simply a must have resource.  Enjoy!!!

Now you can really go to town. Those are the references used by everyone who's serious about that stuff.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Reading Appendix A about the different kinds of doubling is a must before asking here whether a coin is a doubled-die. I wish everyone would do that.

6 hours ago, DWLange said:

Reading Appendix A about the different kinds of doubling is a must before asking here whether a coin is a doubled-die. I wish everyone would do that.

I don't collect US coins much (other than a 7070) so I've never really thought about the books before, but would you recommend Volume II/the appendices as a good resource re: errors?  Or, is there good information scattered throughout both volumes?  I'm slowly acquiring a few Japanese coin errors and it would be nice to become more educated.

(Apologies to the OP for a sidetrack in the thread--books are always worth being excited about!)

9 hours ago, DWLange said:

I will try. 

5 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

I don't collect US coins much (other than a 7070) so I've never really thought about the books before, but would you recommend Volume II/the appendices as a good resource re: errors?  Or, is there good information scattered throughout both volumes?  I'm slowly acquiring a few Japanese coin errors and it would be nice to become more educated.

(Apologies to the OP for a sidetrack in the thread--books are always worth being excited about!)

Itis my understanding that the Cherry Picker books are like the collectors bible and as far as I know deal stricktly with errors. You can preview them on like Amazon.

I looked on Amazon, but wasn't satisfied with the look inside feature, though I suppose I could download a Kindle sample (which won't show me the appendix, but at least the table of contents I suppose). 

Are the books super US-centric or is the information applicable to world coins too?  I don't care so much about the 1955 double die cent, though I am very curious about double die vs. machine doubling characteristics for example.  Or broadstruck/off center information.  Brockage, delamination, etc.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Cherrypickers' Guide catalogs varieties, not mint errors. These are two entirely different areas:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1655/Variety-versus-Mint-Error/

All of the coins listed and illustrated in the CPG are USA issues, but the die creation and maintenance procedures which created these varieties were used for world issues, too.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:49 AM, Star City Homer said:

I looked on Amazon, but wasn't satisfied with the look inside feature, though I suppose I could download a Kindle sample (which won't show me the appendix, but at least the table of contents I suppose). 

Are the books super US-centric or is the information applicable to world coins too?  I don't care so much about the 1955 double die cent, though I am very curious about double die vs. machine doubling characteristics for example.  Or broadstruck/off center information.  Brockage, delamination, etc.

I think it's just US Coins.