• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts and opinions on this Morgan Dollar

5 posts in this topic

Stuck at home playing with the coins.  This is a nothing special Morgan but wondering what caused the funky appearance on the obverse.  It has a mottled gray appearance.  Opinions welcome.

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

It looks like a form of unattractive toning, that someone tried to remove (cleaned).  It's still showing in the protected areas around the letters, but removed in the unprotected fields and high points.

1 hour ago, coinman1794 said:

Without holding it, I can't tell if the coin is stained, improperly dipped, or has environmental damage, or all three. This isn't typically what mere toning looks like.

I know right, I can't figure it out, the reverse is fine.  Can't imagine dipping only 1 side.  

If dipping is the problem, it could be improperly rinsed, which means the acid may be attacking the surface wherever it still resides. It could easily be more prevalent on one side vs another if not thoroughly rinsed.