Lincoln Monument Ghost, filled D mint with Skelton face 1979 Lincoln memorial penny
2 2

10 posts in this topic

229 posts

Low grade pocket change with a filled "D".  Check all of the other Lincoln Memorial cents you have laying around.  There are quite a few variations where the portrait has been modified, enhanced, flattened, sharpened, etc, etc.  And all of the reverses have the little Lincoln seated in the memorial.  It's just that some of them are harder to see than others.

21 posts

So dieonard you're saying that you have seen many of these images I am new to selling coins but collecting no and I swear I have never seen or heard it mentioned in any forum, so if you don't mind I would appreciate if you can SHOW me just one can you do that ohhhhh and modified huh are you saying that I done modification or you just giving your opinion 

Edited by PioMinko

229 posts

Granted, these are ultra cameo proofs, but as you can see, the "ghost" is there, and Lincoln's portrait has the same details as your "skeleton head".

1960 SD 1C NGC PF67RD UC-REV.JPG

1979-S TYPE 1 1C NGC PF69RD UC-OBV.JPG

21 posts

Awesome, I just saw another in a post from later date Thanks for bringing to my attention lmbo frrrrr I should still keep in Collection correct or scrap it

4,871 posts

The 1979-D is a normal, circulation strike and has no numismatic value.

Edited by coinman1794

3,592 posts

I'm not sure what was going on at the mint in '79, but little lumps where a mintmark should be seemed to be the norm, rather than the exception for that year.

11,822 posts

Doesn't resemble Red Skelton at all - at least not to me.