• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can you do with this coin

3 posts in this topic

I recently purchased this ancient prutah of Pontius Pilate. While it may appear to be an encrusted normal issue, it’s anything but. It’s a rare “barbaric” issue, with only one other known and this being the finest. I know there is s lot of detail being covered by encrustation. When it comes to ancient coins I’m not a fan of cleaning them, preferring “as found” typically. But with this being an important coin, I’ve had many recommended I get it cleaned, along with many offers to do so.

The thing that matters to me the most is keeping as much as the original patina as possible. In no way, shape or form do I want it mint state, and no fillers. I’d just like more detail and the original patina to remain. It is made out of bronze. Is this something NCS could help me out with? Do you have before and after images I could see of other ancients you have removed encrustations from? Thank you.

6E8A3D55-A93D-40C0-8CDB-F00CF7BB4898.jpeg

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. We do not typically recommend conservation on heavily encrusted ancient coins as we cannot accurately predict the results. 

Nice coin!  Many ancient collectors recommend soaking the con in distilled water as a FIRST STEP..  That should loosen any of the dirt on its surface.  They also recommend using a brass brush but don't do it!  If you post your coin on the ancient coin section of "Coin Talk Forum"  you should receive many recommendations.  Read them all but start very slowly (distilled water) as the coin is very nice as is.