• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have any insight to share? Is this or is this not rare?

18 posts in this topic

I see a 1964 D Lincoln cent.  Has a theoretical melt value of about 2 cents, but a real world wholesale value of about a half cent and a retail dealers nuisance value of about 5 cents.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

I see a 1964 D Lincoln cent.  Has a theoretical melt value of about 2 cents, but a real world wholesale value of about a half cent and a retail dealers nuisance value of about 5 cents.

Stop beating around the bush, whats your offer?

Nothing appears to be wrong with your 1964-D cent. What makes you state, "Is this or is this not rare?"

Giving the poster the benefit of the doubt, this coin is now 54 years old. When I was young collector in 1964 finding a coin dated 1910 would have seemed like a big deal. It could have been an early Lincoln cent, a Liberty Nickel or even one of the Barber silver coins, which were all obsolete back then and not seen very often in circulation.

Today things are different. The cent can't buy anything and does not circulate very much. Therefore higher grade ones, even pieces that are 54 years old, crop up in circulation. As collectors we know they have no numismatic value, but a novice could think differently. I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

I can see the slight shelf of some type of doubling on the 9 and the 6 if that is what you are talking about. But the pics don't really show weather it was caused by machine doubling...

I am just wondering if this is or is not a doubled die.... that is all... some have said they see some type of doubling, but cannot tell from the picture previously posted. So in this picture, can anything new be said? 

Thanks guys :)

D79CC92E-89B7-4745-9E7B-231193747734.jpeg

4 hours ago, shazlehurst said:

I am just wondering if this is or is not a doubled die.... that is all... some have said they see some type of doubling, but cannot tell from the picture previously posted. So in this picture, can anything new be said? 

Thanks guys :)

D79CC92E-89B7-4745-9E7B-231193747734.jpeg

No, I see parts of the 6 and 9 that look doubled but this coin isn't remotely one that I believe anyone would consider a doubled die.  Look at the letters.  There isn't any doubling on any of it.

I took the liberty and enhanced the date and it appears that both the 9 and the 6 have 'ejection doubling' and not a 'doubled die' course others can weigh in and express their opinion as well.

dd_Fotor.jpg

Suitable for "penny loafers."  (...or should that be just one 'loafer' like Uncle Harry?)

I'm new also, but I'd never throw anything from SF mint away. There just seems to be too many coins fromthere that wind up valuable. And a penny doesn't take up much space, after all.