• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

transitional error

10 posts in this topic

Interesting that it does not appear to look like the other Sac, but we need your explanation as to why you think this is a transitional error, such as: the rim is blank, the weight is off, etc.

I found greenish coins like this, but never one that looked like dirty quarter. Im trying to look at some coins with my 5 and 6 year old kids for a summer activity. I did this on my summers as a kid and would love to keep up the tradition. So you want to check weight Did the Denver mint paint these green poorly? Thank you for your reply and help with our little find.S20180421_017.jpg.0b2e15cc2909b9028eabd7a9a17d9612.jpgS20180421_016.jpg.88048fc9c2420e3f253383119dd2454a.jpg  

There are well documented transactional errors for the 2000 Sacagawea struck on the clad Susan B. Anthony planchets but the majority of those came out of the Philadelphia Mint. The partially reeded edge is a real puzzler though and the Mints did not create any green or attempt to create any green contrast coins, so I do not know what is making this coin greenish in color.

With the partially reeded edge, I would suspect contemporary counterfeit. There is no way a sac dollar from 2000 would have anything but a plain edge. Possibly one of the South American fakes?