• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942 Mercury Dime Date Obverse-Doubled Die or Double Struck?

9 posts in this topic

EEE01A88-3982-4843-A2B0-CCAAE8C2B187.thumb.jpeg.1619cace923469196975f28ddc7b22cf.jpegHi Folks,

Neopyhte hope to soon graduate to level of just over clueless soon!  Hope everyone is well. The dime...doubled die or struck?  I think with my very limited knowledge, this is double struck and not died.  Am I correct?  Opinions would be appreciated as I’m new to everything but have been working diligently to learn quickly.  Thank you so much!

A6CF8A67-91D0-4DEF-AEBF-3E92C779288F.jpeg

8DE2FAD5-12EF-4A33-84D8-C4A097372844.jpeg

I'd recommend picking up the Cherry Pickers Guides.  They're inexpensive, very informative and have decent photos.  I bought the books, and cherry picked my first variety within 1 month.

Thanks fellas!

i have the Kenneth Bressett 2017 Red Book and that kinda just gave me 464 pages of a start.  My brother recommended the Cherry Pickers guides to me last week.  Ordered this last weekend and delivery is imminent.But, I appreciate the suggestion and advice!  Please don’t hesitate with suggestions or advice as ivmay be new but I’m hooked and very serious about learning everything I can.  I appreciate any education and advice you gentlemen and ladies may have for me!  Thanks!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Be sure to read the Appendices in the back of the CPG. There is a good tutorial on die doubling and the various other conditions that can confuse collectors into thinking they have a doubled-die coin.

This is a very helpful guide, too: https://www.ngccoin.com/pdf/US_Coin_Die_Varieties.pdf

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Apolylogy said:

Thanks guys,I appreciate the imput.  It’s just gonna be awhile before I can ever trust myself enough not to ask for verification.  Much appreciated!

Welcome aboard(thumbsu