• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Morgan Dollar in bags or rolls

6 posts in this topic

I want someone here to confirm if the paper roll existed back in mid-late 1800's.. I read the post on Facebook, one guy said that the paper roll for Morgan Dollar didn't existed back in 1800's, and almost all of Morgans were in bags. It may makes a sense, but it's possible that the banks (back in 1880's) did used the paper roll for Morgans as well?  

All Morgan Dollars were shipped from the mint in bags. The mint did not put coins in rolls until modern times to sell to collectors.

As for the banks, I have seen a paper silver dollar roll, and I've been a collector since the early 1960s. I don't think that there were any paper rolls for dollars in the 1800s .

As a commercial product the paper coin roll wrapper didn't exist until the 20th century, but paper existed before that time and it would not be impossible for someone to have wrapped rolls of coins in paper. Of course these paper rolls would not be marked in any particular way and would just be folded over at the ends, not rolled at the ends like the ones we see today. Matthew Boulton in England were shipping the coins and tokens that he produced wrapped in paper rolls back in the 1790s.

From time to time there are sellers on ebay selling morgan rolls in what appear to be fabrications of 19th century paper rolls from carson city. I have seen these with a morgan cc in high grade on one or both ends of the roll. Purely meant to deceive as seller claims they were from an "estate sale" with of course no guarantees of the contents.

Bank clerks sometimes made paper coin rolls for their own convenience. There are only two instances I've located where a US Mint in the 19th or early 20th century released coins in paper rolls.

1) 1849-1855 (only on occasions) Gold dollars in rolls of 100. Delivered to some large Post Offices as a convenience in handling the small coins.

2) New Orleans Mint in 1882 (I think). Wrapped silver dollars in paper rolls of $10 at the request of a large business. This was for the convenience of the business and was soon stopped. It was deemed not a function of the Mint.

3-cent silver coins would also be a good candidate for paper rolling, but I have not seen that mentioned in the early Philadelphia or New Orleans documents examined thus far.

There could be many rolls. Not from the mint but from banks. You need to remember that all the morgans were stored in vaults for 60 years or more since nobody wanted them. 60 years later they were offered to the public and that is when they would have been rolled from the bags -- 1955 to 1965. I am sure that morgan paper rollers were around by then.

Some may think it is a scam when they are offered --- I call it a lottery roll. Buy 1 and see what you get. If it is the real deal ---- Buy some more!! :)