• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hits on 64-66 TPG-Graded Coins

6 posts in this topic

Sorry I don't have photographic skills to back this up, but lately I've seen some coins in 64-66 holders with distracting hits or scratches in focal areas or more serious ones elsewhere. I don't mean to start up a general debate around gradeflation, this is meant to be more specific as respects surface marks. In my youth I would have considered such coins as 62-63 material at best. Exceptions, my faulty memory, a manifestation of gradeflation?

I hate (HATE!) getting a Proof 70 coin, and immediately seeing marks, but all the lower grades are allowed to have a few marks depending on the number, severity, and/or location.  It really does have something to do with the grader's attitude on the day of grading.

There are only X number of coinage available, some of those X's have been through the services numerous times, some of the times 'luck' smiles upon you and you get an upgrade. I am not going to use the word 'lenient' here ~oops~ too late, but the standards seem to vary to collectors, but I'm pretty sure there's at least a 90% accuracy (see CAC beans) overall. Not bad considering 38,000,000 grades for just one of the services.

Eye appeal seems to have nothing to do with final grade. These 'marks' fall within 64 - 66 guidelines in the eyes of graders. Also seasoned collectors should be able to differentiate between planchet defects and marks without hesitation. I'll bet most would agree that quite often coins in early holders were graded more conservatively with eye appeal in mind back then. Or maybe its just me......

5 hours ago, numisport said:

Eye appeal seems to have nothing to do with final grade. These 'marks' fall within 64 - 66 guidelines in the eyes of graders. Also seasoned collectors should be able to differentiate between planchet defects and marks without hesitation. I'll bet most would agree that quite often coins in early holders were graded more conservatively with eye appeal in mind back then. Or maybe its just me......

On the contrary, eye-appeal has a lot to do with the final grade - often too much, in my opinion.

17 hours ago, MarkFeld said:
23 hours ago, numisport said:

On the contrary, eye-appeal has a lot to do with the final grade - often too much, in my opinion.

Mark, one only needs to look at same auction pieces sold time after time for around the same price or less to realize that eye appeal is secondary to other factors on coins I collect. In particular high grade proofs from '36 to '64 are what I refer to. Since you are closer to graders than I and see many more auctions I respect your opinions. This thread is about mint state circulation strikes sorry I drifted away.