• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone explain these terms?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hey again. Can anybody tell me what these numbers and letters are. I know the lds is late die stage and that simple stuff, but the 008 and the 8-R-II-C-VI, the UVC-2605, DMR-029, AND LMDS? I think those are how I would list each coin with those common varieties in my little book without needing to write everything out like DDO@One Dime or DDR @ LIBERTY. And would only need to add CUD's and LAM and such. But I'm totally not sure and I'm finding that I am writing and rewriting an awful lot. I did google this and it links to a particular coin, but still doesn't tell me what the groups of numbers/letters stand for. I even looked at like 10 diff glossary of terms and no luck, so maybe they're unique to the one site where I am seeing them. So anyway, if you know please enlighten me. Thanks.

Screenshot_2018-04-12-23-11-00-1.png

Screenshot_2018-04-12-23-10-47-1.png

I don't know most of those (see? oh, ye of excessive faith), but CONECA has a nice glossary that may lead you in the direction of answers. If that one was among the ten glossaries, then I apologize for pointing toward already-trodden ground.

21 minutes ago, JKK said:

I don't know most of those (see? oh, ye of excessive faith), but CONECA has a nice glossary that may lead you in the direction of answers. If that one was among the ten glossaries, then I apologize for pointing toward already-trodden ground.

I think it was but they are all a blur so I shall look anyway. I still have faith sensei. I do hope I spelled that correctly.

Well, i hadn't looked there yet and it will make for an educational read, but did not answer my question. Although it did remind me that UVC is universal variety code and DMR is Die Marriage Registry. But doesn't cover the numbers that follow the letters. Idk? My head is pretty worn out about now so Ima stop for tonight. I REALLY need to hurry up and get a microscope. Shew!.

Edited by KarenHolcomb

2 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I think it was but they are all a blur so I shall look anyway. I still have faith sensei. I do hope I spelled that correctly.

Well, i hadn't looked there yet and it will make for an educational read, but did not answer my question. Although it did remind me that UVC is universal variety code and DMR is Die Marriage Registry. But doesn't cover the numbers that follow the letters. Idk? My head is pretty worn out about now so Ima stop for tonight. I REALLY need to hurry up and get a microscope. Shew!.

A die marriage registry, I believe, would mean a listing of known obverse and reverse dies, and which were ever used together. With older US coins, for example, the number of dies can be quite finite. I have a 1794 cent that is from an obverse die that developed a crack diagonally through the 4 in the date. Through such tiny cues, we can decide exactly which obverse die that is, and then which reverse dies were used with it (and of course, from that, the die state...for example, my cent is a medium die state; if the crack were longer, I think that means late die state). I would assume that the number is an identifier of one particular die marriage.

If UVC is universal variety code, that would probably mean a unique numeric identifier of a catalogued variety. Some glorious, devoted enthusiasts probably set out to compile a definitive catalogue of varieties, and this is the designator for this particular variation.

DDR-008 = 8th doubled die reverse reported/cataloged

8-R-II-C+VI = 8th doubled die, it is on the rev, and the II and or the VI refer to which class of Doubled die it is, there are I believe nine classes.

EDS = Early die state

MDS = middle die state.  EMDS is early middle die state, LMDS is late middle die state

LDS = Late die state

So the marriage is both the obv and rev dies used on a coin. Would it be the 8th DD known from the die or the 8th known of all?  Like say the DD is on the O in One so any DD on the O in One is called the 8th? And i need to study up on the die classes which look like will be pretty simple. See how I can confuse myself?  So I can use these designators a little bit when cataloging my stuff. But should probably be specific, so more writing?

There are indeed nine classes (Add "Hub Doubling" after each name below):

I - Rotated ... II - Distorted ... III - Design ... IV - Offset ... V - Pivoted ... VI - Distended ... VII - Modified ... VIII - Tilted ... IX - Shifted

You can find detailed descriptions for each of these, and visual examples, at the following site: http://www.error-ref.com/doubled-dies/