• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP - optional GTG

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, WoodenJefferson said:

details

For what specific problem would you guess?

4 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

Not trying to be rude but it looks Scotchbrited

Is that like brillo pad?

19 hours ago, mumu said:

For what specific problem would you guess?

...remember, your grading a coin in an image which is 'one dimensional' and has an accuracy of about 50% I said 'details' because it looks improperly cleaned or harshly cleaned in the image, but if those are polish lines that do not go over the devices but dive under, well then my assessment is incorrect.

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

63 PL.

That's what I was thinking at first glance but I'm not very knowledgeable on  the characteristics of proof peace dollars. 

Alright since everyone active on the forums has posted and we have a correct answer and a close enough answer:

NGC4200047-002_OBV.JPG

47 minutes ago, RWB said:

Damage on the neck limits any grade to MS-63. The coin is not proof-like.

NGC and Silvano DiGenoa disagree with you. I'll let you know what my dog thinks when it arrives.

8 hours ago, mumu said:

NGC and Silvano DiGenoa disagree with you. I'll let you know what my dog thinks when it arrives.

That's OK.  The term "proof like" has a definition based on extensive examination of real coins of many denominations, A "proof-like" Peace dollar must have exactly the same field characteristics as a PL Morgan dollar, or any other PL coin such as a double eagle or half dollar. No exceptions and no bending of definitions.

Further, I'd love to examine a real PL Peace dollar, but so far no one has come forward with a coin that is remotely close. Of course, the ones being promoted as PL seem to have "gone missing" when an inquiry is made.

11 minutes ago, RWB said:

That's OK.  The term "proof like" has a definition based on extensive examination of real coins of many denominations, A "proof-like" Peace dollar must have exactly the same field characteristics as a PL Morgan dollar, or any other PL coin such as a double eagle or half dollar. No exceptions and no bending of definitions.

Further, I'd love to examine a real PL Peace dollar, but so far no one has come forward with a coin that is remotely close. Of course, the ones being promoted as PL seem to have "gone missing" when an inquiry is made.

I have noticed that a lot of people claim to have seen or owned one that blow all the graded ones out of the water. But no pics even exist. I will settle for one NGC thinks is PL and that actually exists.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:33 AM, mumu said:

Be honest if you scanned the barcode

Not at all....I wouldn't even know how. lol.

Just been grading a LONG time. 

1 hour ago, Walkerfan said:

Not at all....I wouldn't even know how. lol.

Just been grading a LONG time. 

I was j/k

RE: " I have noticed that a lot of people claim to have seen or owned one that blow all the graded ones out of the water. But no pics even exist."

This is a common problem. I also do not rely on TPGs for this kind of determination - they have too much of a financial and promotional connection.

Anyone out there with a PL Peace dollar, please contact me. I'd love to examine it - maybe one exists - just tap those red slippers.  :)

Resubmit for review. If its not prooflike they can replace it or pay difference in fair market value. This would be tough either way for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, numisport said:

Resubmit for review. If its not prooflike they can replace it or pay difference in fair market value. This would be tough either way for obvious reasons.

For what purpose? The coin is PL and properly graded as such. In hand it is beyond what either set of pics could capture. The fields are every bit as reflective as on a proof kennedy as a reference point. Obverse looks like a DMPL. Reverse with that design is slightly less of a mirror but unquestionably PL. Not sure what anyone would resubmit for. Maybe a star *?

21 hours ago, mumu said:
23 hours ago, numisport said:

For what purpose? The coin is PL and properly graded as such. In hand it is beyond what either set of pics could capture. The fields are every bit as reflective as on a proof kennedy as a reference point. Obverse looks like a DMPL. Reverse with that design is slightly less of a mirror but unquestionably PL. Not sure what anyone would resubmit for. Maybe a star *?

I think you are missing a humorous jab as review is for coins you think are overgraded. Maybe your 26-S should have a Star for superior surfaces but prooflike ? Okay then.

I think you would need to see the thing in hand. I think I figured out why people "cant believe" anything but a morgan can be PL. Most mogans that are DMPL are also cameo. People cannot disassociate the 2 ideas. And since these cannot be photographed in the "black and white" way that morgan dmpls can becuause of the cameo frost, you dont really see them the same way in pics. Morgan DMPL pictures, fields are always made to look as black as possible, the mirror is actually nearly impossible to photograph in any other way. And certainly these pics didnt even attempt to. In hadn the mirrors on the obverse of this particular piece apprack DMPL. Its quite amazing to see that on a P$. Even the extra strike pressure smoothness you see at the edges of a proof coin devices are present.

This is a nice find but its possible that only one die pair was highly polished in 1926 maybe to remove scratches or some other disruption of surfaces. Some commemorative prooflikes don't appear truly prooflike either but I choose not to judge those without a closer look. The only other prooflike Peace Dollars were also 26-S and a few 34-D coins. Maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to see one of these. For what its worth Coin Explorer is not complete for Peace Dollars when I looked last.

47 minutes ago, numisport said:

This is a nice find but its possible that only one die pair was highly polished in 1926 maybe to remove scratches or some other disruption of surfaces. Some commemorative prooflikes don't appear truly prooflike either but I choose not to judge those without a closer look. The only other prooflike Peace Dollars were also 26-S and a few 34-D coins. Maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to see one of these. For what its worth Coin Explorer is not complete for Peace Dollars when I looked last.

Here's a video look at the coin:

I appreciate the positive feedback everyone. It helps a little bit with the sticker price :D though the coin is rare enough that it was an easy decision for what might be a once in a lifetime coin. Got a great deal on it too. I was treated very well by the guys at https://tangibleinvestmentsinc.com/ The staff and even Sil D himself were all great to talk too. Sil offered info on some other coins as well. Really positive experience.