• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know what this A stamped on obverse is from?

9 posts in this topic

/Hi everyone i have searched only for any info about this letter A punched in this coins obverse.   I did a little research but the furthest i got was its either a chopped or a counter mark. My camera could not get a  good picture of the edge but its words on it. Thanks for any help. 

1523043451964-1378649101.jpg

1523043474368-619651827.jpg

Rich Hartzog has an index of known counterstamps from Gregory Brunk's book on the subject on his website Exonumia.com, but it does not list a single A by itself. If it isn't on Rich's site, I don't know who would know. I know that doesn't help. Sorry, and Good luck with your search.

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Rich Hartzog has an index of known counterstamps from Gregory Brunk's book on the subject on his website Exonumia.com, but it does not list a single A by itself. If it isn't on Rich's site, I don't know who would know. I know that doesn't help. Sorry, and Good luck with your search.

Thanks at least I now know of a book to look in.  That was more than I knew before so your answer did help

It's from somebody who has a metal punch set who just got carried away and chose that coin to smack.  Random letters punched into coins that can't be traced to a specific person or event, are basically just damage.

3 hours ago, Conder101 said:

It's from somebody who has a metal punch set who just got carried away and chose that coin to smack.  Random letters punched into coins that can't be traced to a specific person or event, are basically just damage.

Thanks. Would that A hurt the grade harshly? 

The coin has deliberate damage, and it also appears to been cleaned. It would not get a straight grade from a third-party grading service the best it would get is a details grade.