• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is one special and the other not?

3 posts in this topic

Ok. Question...how come this one quarter sold for $840 at Heritage but the silver proofs  and business strikes sell for a few bucks on Ebay? What's so special about the more expensive one?

Screenshot_2018-04-05-20-33-10.png

Screenshot_2018-04-05-11-29-00.png

One is a 67, the other a 68.  The higher the grade, the higher the price.

It's also a function of the population, the # of coins available at a certain grade.  So, there may be hundreds of coins graded 67, but as shown in your photo pcgs pop 8/0, Eight graded 68, with none finer.  NGC pop shows 4/0. 

Also, just noticed that the 68 was from the JWB collection.  If memory serves correct, the recent JWB sale was a complete sale of a top registry set. 

10 hours ago, casman said:

One is a 67, the other a 68.  The higher the grade, the higher the price.

It's also a function of the population, the # of coins available at a certain grade.  So, there may be hundreds of coins graded 67, but as shown in your photo pcgs pop 4/0, four graded 68, with none finer.

Well that's crazy. Just one degree brighter. Wow! Good to know. I guess I haven't gotten far enough in to be thinking about how many were minted and such, but here I am now-learning all about it. Thanks Casman!