• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible 1st???

7 posts in this topic

All of us would like to think that we have stumbled upon something of great value or significance. In fact, probably most of the members here have thought that at some point, only to discover that their "rarity" was simply a difference in appearance caused by something other than the minting process. I am afraid that this is the situation here. The odds of your coin being a 9/7 overdate are basically nil, for more than one reason. Since none of us can see the coin in hand, we can only make educated guesses as to what caused the damage to your coin, but it looks to me to have been damaged after it left the mint. Mr David Lange, who answered your other post twice, is the Director of Research for NGC, and knows a thing or two about coins. You can believe what he tells you.

If, however, you wish to pursue this further, (and it is your coin, so you certainly have that right) I would suggest you take it to a reputable dealer or a coin show, and let someone knowledgeable look at it under magnification.

10 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

...sorry to say, the last number in the date was struck and metal moved, nothing more.

nine.JPG

It's the proverbial White Hiney Niny variety...