• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help to grade 1873 Half

7 posts in this topic

Hej!  My first time here!  Far Far (Dad's Dad) collected coins and had a couple from USA.  He moved to an apartment in 1960s and put his collection away.  I brought it to light last year and suspect I'd like this half graded.  You opinions please.  Thanks in advance, Totallyswede

DSC_0018_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0021_edited-1.jpg

9 minutes ago, kmag said:

Welcome to the board.  Unfortunately, I don't think the coin will grade, looks like it has been harshly cleaned. 

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

The coin looks like it was cleaned with something like ammonia many years ago. It appears that some of the chemical is still on the piece.

To show the difference, this half dollar has been dipped so that it has mostly a white silver color, but it has been graded and would be acceptable to most collectors.

1874 half dollar O.jpg

1874 half dollar R.jpg

The half dollar has never been dipped or cleaned and has its orginal surfaces and color. Finding pieces that are totally original that are sill attractive is challenging.

1860-O half dollar B O.jpg

1860-O half dollar B R.jpg