• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1953 Half Dollar S

14 posts in this topic

Hey,

Got this 1953 half dollar out of a bankroll from the bank.. its pretty shiny and nice looking. Anyone here have any thoughts on a grade for it? Not sure how much it costs to get it graded, but given the pics would it be worth it?

I read online between $20.00 and $2000...

Update: I just read another place (Not sure if its BS) that the "Full Bell Line" Version of this coin is worth between 8,000 and 30,000.00    - Looks like this one Does have a full bell line.    Getting Excited :)

1953 Bell.jpg

1953 Face.jpg

1953 Iphone Zoom2.jpg

1953_iphone Zoom.jpg

1953_iphone Zoom1.jpg

1953_iphone Zoom3.jpg

side.jpg

side2.jpg

Thanks for welcoming me !

So you all don't think it makes a difference that its 1953-S, AND that it has the full Bell line?   I don't see any on ebay like that.. 

One more question on something odd I found.  (Attaching Pictures)...

Do you all think this is likely a counterfeit coin, or some type of error printing on the wrong material... The weight is slightly off, and you can see it looks like two thin faces sandwiched on... 

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

RE: The 1953-s

This is from PGS:"

With a mintage of over 4 million coins, less than 50 examples are known with Full Bell Lines details for the 1953-S Franklin Half Dollar. The few examples that do display Full Bell Lines were probably struck very early at the Mint. This would explain why most 1953-S Franklin Half’s with Full Bell Lines characteristics are mostly encountered in MS65 grades. The highest grade for this date and mint mark with Full Bell Lines details is a single coin in MS 66 grade. Even in low mint state grades, a 1953-S displaying Full Bell Lines will command thousands of dollars."

I know its not Mint, but I was thinking it still might be rare enough to command some value. Then again, I know nothing of coins... 

1 hour ago, HuttoEnterprises said:

RE: The 1953-s

This is from PGS:"

With a mintage of over 4 million coins, less than 50 examples are known with Full Bell Lines details for the 1953-S Franklin Half Dollar. The few examples that do display Full Bell Lines were probably struck very early at the Mint. This would explain why most 1953-S Franklin Half’s with Full Bell Lines characteristics are mostly encountered in MS65 grades. The highest grade for this date and mint mark with Full Bell Lines details is a single coin in MS 66 grade. Even in low mint state grades, a 1953-S displaying Full Bell Lines will command thousands of dollars."

I know its not Mint, but I was thinking it still might be rare enough to command some value. Then again, I know nothing of coins... 

Your 1953-S does not have FBL and even if it did, in that condition, it probably wouldn’t matter in terms of value.

You may be misunderstanding what constitutes full bell lines on a Franklin half. This is a picture by LucyBop, from a thread by WoodenJefferson:

image.png.1248f852b2810314332e435529eca912.png

Notice how the grooves across the bottom of the bell run continuously from one side to the other. Those are considered full bell lines, and would receive that designation. (I believe PCGS only requires the bottom set to be full, while NGC also requires the upper set to also be full.) I would suggest reading Woody's post HERE.

Concerning your '83 Kennedy half dollar, that is the normal composition for that coin and year: a copper core clad with a copper-nickel alloy. It probably looks odd because, on most dimes and quarters of that composition, it appears that there are only two layers, instead of three. Check your pocket change for some examples.

4 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Your 1953-S does not have FBL and even if it did, in that condition, it probably wouldn’t matter in terms of value.

I believe the OP has confused the vertical crack for the horizontal lines.

Kennedy half also shows some evidence of having been in a corrosive environment for a little while. It looks like the copper core was starting to be slightly eaten away and the coppernickel layers are slightly extended past it. This is just Post Strike Damage.

Welcome to the forum. In todays world, finding a 1953-S Franklin in roll searching half dollars is a significant find but the sample shown is heavy circulated and shows slight but even wear. As far as 'Full Bell Lines' yours shows remnants of bell lines in the areas pointed out. To qualify, the lines must traverse the entire length of the bottom of the bell and sadly these do not.

Good luck roll searching, you just never know what you might pull out one day.

bell line 53.JPG

Welcome to the Boards!!! :hi:

You'll find a lot of knowledgeable and interesting people here.  Many people here specialize in a given Type (or series), or more than one.  If you have questions about specific coin Types you might ask who on the Boards is an expert in that Type, and generally that collector will be happy to help you.  FWIW, one of the areas I specialize in is Franklin half dollars.  

Finding any silver coin these days in a bank roll search is a treat.  As mentioned above, your coin is well circulated, but it is still silver, roughly .36 ounces of it, so given today's silver value it is worth roughly $6.

There were 3 mints that produced Franklin half dollars during their 1948 - 1963 run; Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco.  Each of these mints had certain characteristics.  Generally the S mint had the worst strike of all the mints.  It is much more difficult to find fully struck examples of the S mint than their comparable D and P date brethren.  The 1953 S was particularly egregious in this regard, hence the rarity and high valuation for fully struck 1953-S Franklins.  

FWIW, when looking at Franklins, aside from the full bell line, another characteristic of a nicely struck coin on the reverse is that you can read "Pass and Stow" easily (just above the central bell crack).  On the obverse of a well struck Franklin you will see 3 curls of hair in front of his ear. Here is my 1953-S.  It is graded NGC MS66*.  You'll note that you can NOT see the three curls of hair in front of the ear on the obverse,  On the reverse you will note "Pass and Stow" is fully visible, but that the bottom bell lines are not full, being non-existent in the area of the bell crack.  Even though this coin does not have either the 3 curls on the obverse or full bell lines, it is an above average strike for the date/mintmark.  Note also how your coin shows more wear than this coin.  That is caused by the circulation of your coin, e.g. it was used for commerce.  All coins, in particular more modern coins, are broken down into circulated coins and Mint State (or uncirculated) coins.  As you might imagine, mint state coins are worth more than circulated coins.  Most Franklins, once they get a moderate amount of wear on them, are (with a few exceptions) generally worth their silver melt value.

bc1953S_66*FR.JPG

bc1953S_66*FRrev.JPG

Wherever you found this " I read online between $20.00 and $2000... " you should return it immediately. Someone is missing their sanity. :)

As noted above, your 1953-S half is circulated about worth about $7 in silver.