• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bernard von Nothaus NORFED commemorative value?

8 posts in this topic

Scan1.thumb.jpg.5749cff5ffc3325886f0b412cf036cb8.jpgScan2.thumb.jpg.b80806774c65a888819a4fb9bb71d7b3.jpg

It has Bernard von Nothaus's B inside a circle signature in addition to his usual font.  How much would something like this be worth?

It's a pretty mysterious coin as far as products of NORFED go.  The 2009 date kind of commemorates Nothaus's arrest and the whole "trillion" thing is obviously some form of mockery of the federal reserve.

Considering the premium liberty dollars go for, I think something like this would be worth considerably more than the 18 bucks I paid for it.  I think it would be worth a hefty premium to someone who collects Nothaus's products.

This is the only one I can find on the internet: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRILLION-STARS-NORFED-1-oz-999-silver-round-RARE-Bernard-von-NotHaus-/332525329904

The trillion thing is also something of a mockery of our own government, during 2009 the treasury semi-seriously floated the idea of $1 trillion coin to help solve the national debt problem. Just a strike a few trillion dollar coins, tuck them away in the reserve vaults, and suddenly you have "cash" to back up those IOUs'.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

The trillion thing is also something of a mockery of our own government, during 2009 the treasury semi-seriously floated the idea of $1 trillion coin to help solve the national debt problem. Just a strike a few trillion dollar coins, tuck them away in the reserve vaults, and suddenly you have "cash" to back up those IOUs'.

Yeah, I think it might be some sort of Bernard von NotHaus commemorative.  It says 2009 on the "heads" side of the coin in the regular fashion, but I think C11 might actually mean that it was made in 2011 to commemorate that buffoonery.  It is either that or it was made in 2009 and C11 means that Bernard has been in business for 11 years.  I call it a commemorative because it doesn't have the liberty head.

The reason why I bought this silver round and not some other one was that I felt the eagle was a good piece of engraving artistry.  I think Bernard's associates really tried to do a good job with this coin.

I listed it on ebay for 115 bucks, but I would be happy to keep it and one day have it bricked.  It is an extremely rich piece of history, this coin, but part of me also feels like I can sleep well at night knowing I made 100 bucks off that little B watermark.  I tend to buy coins for their artistry and not the mint mark.

Also, I gotta say, Bernard von NotHaus is probably the best person on Earth to make a privately minted coin that is worth a premium!

30 minutes ago, Johnston2 said:

Also, I gotta say, Bernard von NotHaus is probably the best person on Earth to make a privately minted coin that is worth a premium!

I imagine some Daniel Carr fans would disagree with that.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I imagine some Daniel Carr fans would disagree with that.

I'm just a layman.  You guys think 115 is a fair price?  The collector's market is extremely niche and I'm not expecting it to sell right away.  If I got it bricked, could I probably charge even more?

I just got into coin collecting as my grandfather gave me a couple pieces from his coin collection.  My personal 'thing' is silver rounds at a dollar or so over spot with impressive art engravings.  I am really on the fence about getting rid of this thing in less than a week of owning it.  It's definitely worth bricking... right?  I'm pretty novice at this.  I'd enjoy getting this thing bricked and having a nice 200-dollar personal piece.

I don't know too much, but to my understanding this "commemorative" if you will, is the only product with Bernard's stamp that doesn't feature the liberty dollar head.  To my understanding this is extremely rare... but on the otherhand, people don't even know that this coin exists and how much were minted.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Johnston2 said:

but on the otherhand, people don't even know that this coin exists and how much were minted.

That will affect whether you get your asking price for this as much as its rarity or condition. No matter how rare or pristine the item, if there is no market for it, it will be hard to get what you want for it. Checking recent sales, I see where one sold for $100, and one sold for $125. The one you linked did not sell for $100, and was relisted. There is another one listed at $110. Watching how these two perform should give you an indication of the scope of the market. Good luck.

57 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

That will affect whether you get your asking price for this as much as its rarity or condition. No matter how rare or pristine the item, if there is no market for it, it will be hard to get what you want for it. Checking recent sales, I see where one sold for $100, and one sold for $125. The one you linked did not sell for $100, and was relisted. There is another one listed at $110. Watching how these two perform should give you an indication of the scope of the market. Good luck.

The 110 one on ebay with 5 dollars shipping is mine.

If it sells at the end of the week, I am going to feel pretty bad.  The fact that this is an alternative currency denomination with NotHaus's stamp appeals heavily to me as a slightly-left leaning libertarian.

7 watchers in 24 hours.  Probably going to sell, I think.

So I should trust my sensibilities on pricing this, right Mr. Bob?  Right.  Thank you.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

2009?  you mean 2011, right? :)

After finding that out I am convinced this is a personal engraving made to commemorate his arrest in the circles of his people, with some features thrown in to confuse the feds while NotHaus awaits sentencing.  I know a damn good high quality piece of engraving artistry when I see it!

I figure it's that or it's a piece of silver with a B on it.  I think I might be right, that it is a commemorative.

This is a wicked unique artifact of libertarianism but I don't think the watermark will help anyone much when the dollar collapses.  I think I'd like to buy some more silver.