• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin ridles

9 posts in this topic

My answer: a coin that is priced way beyond what a rational collector would pay for a fairly common mint error. A coin that is of interest only because Philadelphia didn't produce cents in 1922.

I've never understood why so much attention is paid to the 1922 "P" cent, when no one pays any attention to the 1968, 69, and 70 "P" nickels.

45 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

I've never understood why so much attention is paid to the 1922 "P" cent, when no one pays any attention to the 1968, 69, and 70 "P" nickels.

Lots of Lincoln collectors grew up with a 22P hole in their folder, as I recall (I think it had a plug in the hole with the word "RARE"). I ignored it. Simply a moderately interesting mint error to me, but that's just me.

4 minutes ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Lots of Lincoln collectors grew up with a 22P hole in their folder, as I recall (I think it had a plug in the hole with the word "RARE"). I ignored it. Simply a moderately interesting mint error to me, but that's just me.

That was my theory, as well.

Not my album:

24550038_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Conder101 said:

As you know, the 1922 "plain" cent is in the Red Book in addition to coin folders.  I suspect many collectors might have believed there were cents struck in Philadelphia in 1922. 

In any event, a lot of coins are over rated versus the actual merits for the same or similar reasons, like every single "key" date in the most widely collected US series (Morgan dollar and all 20th century non-gold).  None of these coins are or ever were remotely rare.  Collectors just didn't find it in their change, at banks, and usually probably not at their local coin shop either.  It was a communication limitation which existed prior to the TPG population reports and the internet.

However, the inflated perception exists to this day.