• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1918 Walker - Strike Characteristic?

10 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a 1918 (P) Walker for a parent birth set. Very nice eye-appealing AU58, CAC no less. However, the strike is poor, showing weak details on the high points. Is this typical for this year? Many thanks.

No, this is not typical. The 1918 is a well produced Philadelphia Walker that usually is struck pretty well.

Weakness on high points is from wear.  Sounds like the coin is over-graded.

8 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

No, this is not typical. The 1918 is a well produced Philadelphia Walker that usually is struck pretty well.

Weakness on high points is from wear.  Sounds like the coin is over-graded.

However, what the OP described as a "poor" strike and "weak details" might not be considered such by you or others. That's why an image is needed.

4 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

However, what the OP described as a "poor" strike and "weak details" might not be considered such by you or others. That's why an image is needed.

Of course, I agree that having an image is always better.  I gave him the general characteristics of the 1918 Walker, which is what he asked for.  Also, there is a difference between high point wear and a weak strike.  I am curious to see what this Walker really looks like.

If it is a 1918-S, there is a big difference. Unlike the Philadelphia Mint, the San Francisco Mint usually did not issue sharply struck half dollars during the the teens and twenties.

57 minutes ago, BillJones said:

If it is a 1918-S, there is a big difference. Unlike the Philadelphia Mint, the San Francisco Mint usually did not issue sharply struck half dollars during the the teens and twenties.

Thanks, Bill. I did some noodling around auction results and saw some MS coins that looked worse than my AU. I'm tempted to look for a better strike or mint, but this is just part of a fun birth year set, for the grandkids and great-grandkids. I'm a little surprised that CAC stickered my coin, I guess strike is not high on their list, although I suppose they likely ignore strike when a poor strike is typical. Not sure if I would agree with such a philosophy, as I did see some decent 18-S strikes as I was looking at auction results.

10 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

I think I'm losing it. Pulled the coin - it's an 18S. Any difference Walkerfan? I'l try to shoot this afternoon, Many thanks for your comments.

Big difference.  In 1918 the Philadelphia coins were struck rather sharp, while the San Francisco and Denver coins were struck softly. 

Denver is actually the WORST of the three.  The dies were faced farther apart in an attempt to extend the life of them.  Less pressure was likely used, as well.