• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1963 D Washington Quarters-Should I have them graded?

3 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

I'm new to the world of coin collecting and I had a quick question I hope someone could help me answer. I have a few 1963 D Washington quarters. They all appear to be in uncirculated, mint condition with some minor spots. Are these worth having them graded and slabbed? I've seen a really broad range of price valuations for these types of coins, with everything from about $3+ up to over $900 at auction. I just want to make sure it's worth the time and money before I submit anything to be graded. Thanks in advance for and advice/help you can give a new guy. 

Welcome to the forum.

Although the 63 D is not a rare coin, it can be hard to find in higher grades. Unless you are certain that they will grade MS66 or higher, I don't think they would be worth the grading fees. If you can post some good pics of some of the best ones in the "Can You Spare a Grade?" forum, you should be able to get some opinions of what you might get if you were to send them in.

Yep. They would have to be amazing specimens: sharp strikes, full luster, minimal contact marks, and of course absolutely uncirculated. Otherwise they would be worth far less than the grading fee.