• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unknown coin - help to identify

6 posts in this topic

Photo and rubbings aren't clear, and you do not provide diameter or weight, so all I can tell is it's likely a bronze from the 100s-200s CE. Could be Hadrian.

In order to get a positive ID, we really need a photo that lets us make out more of the obverse legend. Reverse legend too, but the obverse is where we ID the emperor and thus figure out which part of large books to start looking in. Diameter tells us what part of that part to look in.

0.4 ounces

27mm diameter

Do these help?

Thank you.

Apologies for wasting your time. Son just admitted to buying it at a Roman site shop and was too embarrassed to admit it.  Another learning experience.

Apologies

10 hours ago, RozDog said:

0.4 ounces

27mm diameter

Do these help?

Thank you.

Apologies for wasting your time. Son just admitted to buying it at a Roman site shop and was too embarrassed to admit it.  Another learning experience.

Apologies

There's no need to apologize.  Part of the reason this forum exists is to exchange information, so no worries.  Sorry your son bought that though......was it one of those tourist shops?  My department coordinator spends his semester breaks in Europe, and he's told me some stories about fake coins and other "Roman" souvenirs that they sell.....bad news all around.

It looks pretty cruddy to be a fake. That doesn't mean it's real, just means that most fakes aren't as crudded up as that.

If authentic, it's definitely of Antoninus Pius, likely an AE As (denomination).