• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1956 PD Washingtons for the A toner Dansco

7 posts in this topic

Here are the 1956 PD Washingtons for my A toner Dansco.  I got them both out of the same Mint Set.  While many of you might prefer the D mint toner (which is more classically a rainbow toner) from my B toner Dansco set posted several weeks ago, I prefer this D mint for my A set because of the unusual obverse "reverse raccoon" (or Indian warpaint) look.  

sc1956_rWA1o.jpg

sc1956_rWA1rev.jpg

sc1956D_rWA1o.jpg

sc1956D_rWA1rev.jpg

Wow, that D has got some mixed color. Aren't these in cardboard inside an envelope? Way would the Obv tone like it did and not the reverse? Nice washies for sure Sy!

3 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Wow, that D has got some mixed color. Aren't these in cardboard inside an envelope? Way would the Obv tone like it did and not the reverse? Nice washies for sure Sy!

Thanks Bobby!

Actually it's more common than not for toners in 1947 - 1958 Mint Sets to have different levels of toning on the two sides of the assorted cards.  For many of the years in question, one side of the cardboard card would have the paper covering glued to the cardboard, so you could see only one side of each of the coins.  That is why the Mint Set cards always had two coins of the given mint for each denomination, so one obverse would face upwards and one reverse would face upwards for each denomination.  Over time the owners would pull the coins out and sometimes they'd put them back in the way they were supposed to and sometimes they'd put them back any old way.  Of note is that it was the coins on the side exposed to air that would tone up first, NOT the side of the coins that was on the glued paper side. 

This set is actually unusual in that the colors match up pretty well on both sides for the P mint coins.  My best guess is that the glue used in 1956 was weaker or something, because many times when I look at 1956 Mint Sets the (pink) paper is not glued to the card.  Take a look at the color of the pink paper in the obverse/reverse images of the P mint card, and notice the difference in color.  Note also that the cardboard in the P reverse/(second) image appears discolored as I believe a light glue coating was applied to this side   Here are the Mint set cards for the Mint Set...

The P Washington shown in the beginning post is in upper left position of the first image  (FWIW I sent in the upper right Franklin to be slabbed and it came back PCGS MS66FBL.  The Franklin in the lower left IMO is also 66FBL, but I've kept it raw for my Franklin A toner Dansco).  The P Washington is in lower left position of the second image.  (The slabbed Franklin is in the lower right position). 

The D Washington shown in the beginning post is in lower right position of the third image, and is in the upper right position of the fourth image.

1956_1_1.jpg .jpg

1956_1_2.jpg

1956_1D_1.jpg

1956_1D_2.jpg