• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An SAE that just keeps on toning!

12 posts in this topic

So I've attached pics on my SAE. They are dated as to when I took these pics. This SAE was in storage with the rest of my coins for almost 2 years. It was in a manila envelope and I forgot about it until we unpacked last year. I really didn't know these would just keep going soo fast. Is there a good way to stop it from getting too dark? Of course, I guess I could take it out of my windowsill. :grin:

2013 Raw Toned.jpg

2013 Toned SAE.jpg

I actually like the look of the older photo of the obverse. The newer one just looks a little too contrived for my taste.  Of course, it doesn't look anything like some of the blatantly AT coins on Ebay. Some of those things are horrendous.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I actually like the look of the older photo of the obverse. The newer one just looks a little too contrived for my taste.  Of course, it doesn't look anything like some of the blatantly AT coins on Ebay. Some of those things are horrendous.

I guess in a way it could be considered AT, and in a way not. Stored in an envelope toning I think is much better than oven or chemical baking. lol

From what I have read on the various forums, the general consensus concerning what is AT among posters, if not the TPGs, seems to lean heavily on intent. If a coin is placed in an album, and it reacts over time to the chemicals in the cardboard, paper, etc., that is considered acceptable. If the coin is subjected to chemicals in order to tone quickly, especially with the intention of selling it at inflated prices, it is considered artificial, and is not acceptable. Putting it in a "Taco Bell napkin" or something similar might just be considered a gray area - AT to some, NT (or at least acceptable) to others.  Again, intent plays a part. I have known you long enough to know that you are not the type of guy to try and deceive someone concerning this coin, and you are mostly seeing what will happen to it for your own education. I think I would call this one "accelerated NT" :D

8 hours ago, Just Bob said:

From what I have read on the various forums, the general consensus concerning what is AT among posters, if not the TPGs, seems to lean heavily on intent. If a coin is placed in an album, and it reacts over time to the chemicals in the cardboard, paper, etc., that is considered acceptable. If the coin is subjected to chemicals in order to tone quickly, especially with the intention of selling it at inflated prices, it is considered artificial, and is not acceptable. Putting it in a "Taco Bell napkin" or something similar might just be considered a gray area - AT to some, NT (or at least acceptable) to others.  Again, intent plays a part. I have known you long enough to know that you are not the type of guy to try and deceive someone concerning this coin, and you are mostly seeing what will happen to it for your own education. I think I would call this one "accelerated NT" :D

I hear ya! I'm probably going to take my blast white one out of my SAE Dansco and replace it with this one. 

6 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

Looks like a very attractive blue color around the borders.  I wouldn't want it to get much darker though.

Nah, I think it's done too. Hopefully sticking it in a dark album will stop it. lol

This one stopped when I submitted it about 15 years ago. It was mounted in an advertising card toned and unmarked along with some other dates lightly toned. All 6 are MS 69 and have consecutive serial #'s.

3_24_2018_10_42_01_AM.jpg

To find any NGC toned silver Eagle that is graded is cool as it wasn't too soon afterward they seem to all end up in problems slabs.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:24 PM, bsshog40 said:

So I've attached pics on my SAE. They are dated as to when I took these pics. This SAE was in storage with the rest of my coins for almost 2 years. It was in a manila envelope and I forgot about it until we unpacked last year. I really didn't know these would just keep going soo fast. Is there a good way to stop it from getting too dark? Of course, I guess I could take it out of my windowsill. :grin:

2013 Raw Toned.jpg

2013 Toned SAE.jpg

After a coin sits in a paper envelope, especially when heat from sunlight is introduced, sulfur from the paper will stick to the coin and cause it to continue to tone, even after you take it out and try to preserve it. If it were mine, I would do an acetone rinse to clean the sulfur off; and then I would  have it sealed in a slab or in an intercept holder or other inert storage holder.