• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965 Lincoln SMS "CAMEO"?

21 posts in this topic

Considering it's in a fairly recent NGC holder, if it would've gone cameo they would have noted it when it was holdered the last time.

On 3/13/2018 at 11:20 AM, dleonard-3 said:

Does this cent have a chance at a "CAMEO" designation?  I apologize for the horrible photos

20180312_163529-1.jpg

20180312_163541-1.jpg

Can I ask you what is the image sitting inside Lincoln Monument I see Okay dieonard I see you are correct now?  How do someone Modify a coin with the image there frrrr that still great work lmbo lmbo lmbo 

By modify, I meant that the mint adjusted or updated the portrait, either to show more detail, or to flatten the image so it wasn't as high of a relief.  Examples are early Memorials from 1959-1968.  Then they changed the portrait from 1969 and on.  There have been several slight modifications since then too.

What exactly are you asking about on this coin?  Lincoln's head looks a little "wavy", but that might be from what they call a "zinc bubble" where the copper plating separates from the zinc core, also quite common.

Just wanted your opinion u seem to be a professional at this I need all the assistance I can get when I can most are not friendly at all I was wondering about the color of the penny 2014 usually bright 

On March 13, 2018 at 5:11 PM, dleonard-3 said:

Thanks Gents.  I was kinda wondering about the reflectivity on the obverse devices.

The portrait shows areas of reflectivity, and this is why the obverse is not a full Cameo. The reverse seems to show much stronger frosting, and probably is a Cameo.

1 hour ago, PioMinko said:

Just wanted your opinion u seem to be a professional at this I need all the assistance I can get when I can most are not friendly at all I was wondering about the color of the penny 2014 usually bright 

Ya, 2014 is only 4 years old, so most of them still have original mint red luster, but some have been handled by people.  The sweat and oils from human hands can react with the copper and turn it brown (oxidation).  Copper also reacts with any type of sulpher it comes into contact with from cloth, paper, or wood.  I'm sure there are other chemical elements that will react with copper to turn it brown as well.

8 minutes ago, coinman1794 said:

The portrait shows areas of reflectivity, and this is why the obverse is not a full Cameo. The reverse seems to show much stronger frosting, and probably is a Cameo.

Thanks for your opinion.  I agree.  I would really like to get a "cameo" 1965 SMS cent, but they seem to be very rare, and the value difference between an SMS MS66RD ($30), and an SMS MS66RD CAMEO ($1600) is substantial.

Many of these SMS coins can look cameo lit from side angle. Real 1965 cameos are scarce to rare. Figure in fact that they were bulk handled and holdered in pliofilm, high grade cameo coins of 1965 are rare compared to '66 and '67 dated coins.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, Six Mile Rick said:

Obviously ----- no!! Do you really need a cameo??  I think it looks swell for a collection piece. :)

I bought a raw 65 SMS for 19 Cents and sent it in to be graded. It came back MS 63 cam. At the time there were literally 3 Cams in NGC Pops and this was the lowest graded at the time.... I sold it for a couple hundred...