• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random and Unsolicited Request for a Cert Number

13 posts in this topic

I got an unsolicited email from another person asking for the cert number of one of the coins in my collection.  I have not had any dealings with this individual now or in the past.  Anyone else get a random request?  I never bothered to respond and just deleted it.

• Administrator

Hello, erwindoc.

If you prefer not to receive emails from other collectors, you may go into your account and change your email preferences.  You check the circle/radio dial that says: No, do not allow users to send emails. Then hit SAVE when you are finished.

Thank you.

image.png.77765f5d0014b2a798952c390500584b.png

I dont mind people contacting me as someone may have coins that upgrade my collection, but this person just flat out asked me for the cert number of one of the coins in my active collection.  I just thought it was a bit fishy, that's all.

I've actually contacted a few people through this site to purchase coins from them.  Coins I could not find any other place, and coins that it did not seem the person I was contacting was going to collect any further.  Both times, it has worked out great, where I was able to purchase the coins from 2 different people.  Never once did I ask for the cert number though.  However, before a deal was finalized, both members offered photos of the coins.  

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Ali E. said:

Hello, erwindoc.

If you prefer not to receive emails from other collectors, you may go into your account and change your email preferences.  You check the circle/radio dial that says: No, do not allow users to send emails. Then hit SAVE when you are finished.

Thank you.

image.png.77765f5d0014b2a798952c390500584b.png

JustBob, you need to be logged in and on the Collector Society web site. You need to go to your Control Panel to find email preferences. Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Ali E. said:

JustBob, you need to be logged in and on the Collector Society web site. You need to go to your Control Panel to find email preferences. Thank you.

This is what I see:

image.thumb.png.b24d6ccf7d00393a31ce7f6c87d3c55c.png

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

This is what I see:

image.thumb.png.b24d6ccf7d00393a31ce7f6c87d3c55c.png

Hi Just Bob, 

Please log in through the Collector's Society at www.collectors-society.com.  You should then see the email preference Ali is referring to.

Thank you.

• Administrator

JustBob,

Please contact NGC Customer Service at service@ngccoin.com or at 1-800-642-2646, and they will walk you through your account settings. Thank you.

12 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

Yup.  That's all I can think of for such a weird request.  

Is it for a coin that's likely to be copied?

Agree that this is an unusual request, perhaps a bit brazen but not necessarily nefarious.  I've reviewed some certification numbers to see if some of my coins (or some on the market) are companion coins or were certified on the same submission.  For example, I'd be more likely to by a 1945-S Jeff in an old fatty if its certification number were adjacent to a certified 1945-S MS 67 FS.

Since I wasn't the collector who asked, I don't know the intent.  With the safeguards of the registry, someone else obviously couldn't establish another coin with your pedigree (at least through official means).  Personally, I suspect it was simply a slightly awkward attempt for some dialogue.  

On March 12, 2018 at 6:33 PM, erwindoc said:

I dont mind people contacting me as someone may have coins that upgrade my collection, but this person just flat out asked me for the cert number of one of the coins in my active collection.  I just thought it was a bit fishy, that's all.

On March 14, 2018 at 10:37 AM, glennm said:

Agree that this is an unusual request, perhaps a bit brazen but not necessarily nefarious.  I've reviewed some certification numbers to see if some of my coins (or some on the market) are companion coins or were certified on the same submission.  For example, I'd be more likely to by a 1945-S Jeff in an old fatty if its certification number were adjacent to a certified 1945-S MS 67 FS.

Since I wasn't the collector who asked, I don't know the intent.  With the safeguards of the registry, someone else obviously couldn't establish another coin with your pedigree (at least through official means).  Personally, I suspect it was simply a slightly awkward attempt for some dialogue.  

I would be weary of the request - but I would ask --- Why do you want to know and what will you do with it? They may be just trying to determine what it sold for in the past to make you an offer. It's just as likely to be for some nefarious reason.