• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lamination Mint Error or just messed up?

7 posts in this topic

I came across this Kennedy Half dollar in rough shape. However, on the reverse at 10 o'clock and obverse at 8 o'clock there seems to be a lamination mint error.

But, I have not seen a lamination mint error in person before. So, do you think this a lamination mint error or not?

Thanks.

MLE-01-crop.jpg

MLE-Obverse-crop.jpg

Rode hard and put up wet, but there is something of interest going up through the 6 of 1776 ending in the base of the bust.

Edit: I took the time and enlarged the obverse, what I originally saw was revealed as a furrow and pushed up metal on the truncation of the bust.

"I took the time and enlarged the obverse, what I originally saw was revealed as a furrow and pushed up metal on the truncation of the bust." - WoodenJefferson

Is a "furrow and pushed up metal" something that happens in the mint? See attached for image near the 6 of 1776 ending in the obverse base of the Kennedy bust.  

6 in 1976.jpg

Damage as such is considered PMD (Post Mint Damage) and would deter from any numismatic value. This Kennedy was damaged outside the US Mint so has no added value except for face value of .50 cents.