• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipwreck effect grade scale

5 posts in this topic

Your coin was recovered from the SS Republic and was corroded by long immersion in seawater.  If it wasn't from a known shipwreck it would just be called details corroded, but they came up with the term "shipwreck effect" for marketing purposes.  A corroded coin commands a big discount, a "shipwreck effect" brings a premium.  The W-04 and W-06 refer to the die variety of the coin.  There are 15 die varieties of 1861-O half dollar.  The W-04 and W-06 were struck while the New Orleans Mint was in the hands of the State of Louisiana.

7 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Your coin was recovered from the SS Republic and was corroded by long immersion in seawater.  If it wasn't from a known shipwreck it would just be called details corroded, but they came up with the term "shipwreck effect" for marketing purposes.  A corroded coin commands a big discount, a "shipwreck effect" brings a premium.  The W-04 and W-06 refer to the die variety of the coin.  There are 15 die varieties of 1861-O half dollar.  The W-04 and W-06 were struck while the New Orleans Mint was in the hands of the State of Louisiana.

Thanks for the help is there a difference in price of a W-04 W-06 or any other of the 15 die varieties?

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, Dan Flaat said:

Thanks for the help is there a difference in price of a W-04 W-06 or any other of the 15 die varieties?

I'm not familiar with Liberty Seated coinage die varieties but as a general principle, only if there is someone out there who will pay a premium for it.  Self evident answer I know but most date/MM combinations were struck from more than one die but don't have a premium because no one wants it badly enough.  To my knowledge, there is minimal die variety collecting in Liberty Seated halves.  

If no one can answer it here, you can try at this link  http://www.lsccweb.org/

One of them, I think it's W-12 uses the same obverse die that was used to strike the 1861 Confederate half dollars, and it will bring a premium. A couple of the other later varieties which are easily recognizable and were used by the Confederacy will also bring a smaller premium.