• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Jefferson Nickel (peace coin)

11 posts in this topic

there is a variety of this coin that has value.  There is a DDO from the philadelphia mint.  It has always been hard for me to see.  This coin is for sure on the NGC top 100 modern list and I think on the PCGS one as well.  

Could someone explain what is meant by a DDO  and also the meaning of NGC  and PCGS . 

I am a beginner about coins 😁

Really appreciate your knowledge thank you 

Hi Zebo 

I already have collected British coins and I found a few American coins in my cupbord at home. They have been there a long time. I decided to look at them and see if they have any value.

I find coins interesting too ☺

I have the commemorative  Gibraltar skull one pound coin and on e bay someone put it up for £80.000 pounds in 2007 

I put mine up for £1.500 it will be interesting to see if it sells . P

I am happy to help as we were all in this place at one time, me not so long ago.  you are, however on an NGC webpage that had to have an account created to post here, so.... I am unsure how to continue.  Quickly, if this is a legitimate question.  There are a handful of companies that grade coins.  NGC and PCGS are the two top organizations.  DDO stands for Double Die Obverse which is a relatively rare strike of a coin.  you can search that term for more info

361 million from the Philadelphia Mint, 372 million from the Denver Mint, close to 3 million proof coins struck at the San Fransisco Mint.
As you can see, they are common currency with only the uber high grades in business struck coins that have added value.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:54 AM, Katniss1 said:

Could someone explain what is meant by a DDO  and also the meaning of NGC  and PCGS . 

DDO means Doubled Die Obverse.  When the die was created there was movement between the hub (the punch creating the image) and the die blank (the piece of steel receiving the image) resulting in a slight doubling of the image in the die.  That doubled image was then reproduced on every coin that die struck.  Obverse means that it was the die that created the obverse or "heads" side of the coin.

NGC and PCGS are third party grading services, Numismatic Guarantee Corporation, and Professional Coin Grading Service.  They are the two most highly rated services of the five significant services still operating.  This "chat board" is hosted by NGC.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:25 AM, WoodenJefferson said:

361 million from the Philadelphia Mint, 372 million from the Denver Mint, close to 3 million proof coins struck at the San Fransisco Mint.
As you can see, they are common currency with only the uber high grades in business struck coins that have added value.

I would like to add to that, Woody. It is EXTREMELY difficult to find a piece that is without any blemish or spots or less than outstanding strike. Even the pieces that have a "high grade" suffer from the same type of faults and it is a matter of degree of same that sets the grade.

I would add that many of the Proofs go wanting, even in high grades.

Welcome Katniss1. One book that I recommend to you is “A Guide Book Of United States Coins”. By Whitman Publishing.  Widely available and reasonably priced.  It is commonly called the Red Book due to its cover color.  The 2019 Edition is the most current.  A quick search on-line will find it for sale.  It will answer many of your questions regarding US coinage.