Grading Question Regarding 1979 Morgan Dollar CC

6 posts in this topic

12 posts

Hi Guys !!   Question ... Do you think this 1979 CC (VAM 3) Morgan Dollar is even worth grading?   Its a rarer one, but the coin has definitely seen better days.   Just by looking at the hair, I am under the impression that I will only receive its value in silver if I tried to sell it.   

I apologize for the mediocre pictures ... but they should give you an idea of what i'm talking about.  The "CC" over "CC" looks pretty neat if you ask me ;)

I just recently inherited over 100 various Morgan dollars and about 30 Peace dollars as well.  I know very little about this stuff, but i'm learning as I go along.  I definitely would like to get some of them graded, I just don't know if it will be a waste of time (and money) or if I might be sitting on something special. 

Thanks so much for your knowledge and assistance, I really appreciate it !! 

IMG_1244.PNG

IMG_1245.PNG

1,920 posts

Whether it's worth grading, and whether it's worth more than melt, are very different questions. I can't find a price guide that values any 1879-CC, whatever variety, anywhere close to melt. It's always a premium coin, like just about all Carson City issues. I would probably not send a coin in for slabbing unless I thought it were a four-figure piece, but I have greater aversion to grading services than most collectors, so factor that in.

I can't see the whole coin, nor a close enough view of the surface to assess any cleaning (the obverse pic has me a little alert for that), but just by showing up and being a 79-CC that lacks extreme wear or serious damage, it's worth over $100. Based on the the obverse detail alone, more like $200, though evidence of cleaning would cut into that.

12 posts

JKK - Thanks for the insight ... you seem to know your stuff, & that information is exactly what I needed to hear.   Really appreciate your time.

Thomas Kurr - Riiiight ?   I guess it just depends on what site you look at, because some price guides say 18 bucks, and some say 250 !!   Oh well, i wish you luck with your 79' also, and thanks for the reply.  

12 posts

JKK - one more thing, here are a few more pics of the obverse in case you were curious.  I only zoomed in on that last pic because thats the only way to show the doubled "CC".   Thanks again.   =D

IMG_1317.thumb.jpg.14f006482b1fbfeb39179cb6c231ad97.jpg

IMG_1314.thumb.jpg.99dc8455efee384a7d58d898125b4ed4.jpg

4,537 posts

I have a 2017 Blue Book, which claims to give approximate prices that you could expect a dealer to pay for your coin. It lists the 1879 CC over CC in VF20 (the lowest grade that it lists for Morgans) at $175. Assuming that is what we have here, I don't see your coin as a VF, and it does appear to have seen some cleaning at some point, but I would think someone trying to complete a set would be willing to give at least a hundred bucks for it.