• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Question Regarding 1979 Morgan Dollar CC

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys !!   Question ... Do you think this 1979 CC (VAM 3) Morgan Dollar is even worth grading?   Its a rarer one, but the coin has definitely seen better days.   Just by looking at the hair, I am under the impression that I will only receive its value in silver if I tried to sell it.   

I apologize for the mediocre pictures ... but they should give you an idea of what i'm talking about.  The "CC" over "CC" looks pretty neat if you ask me ;)

I just recently inherited over 100 various Morgan dollars and about 30 Peace dollars as well.  I know very little about this stuff, but i'm learning as I go along.  I definitely would like to get some of them graded, I just don't know if it will be a waste of time (and money) or if I might be sitting on something special. 

Thanks so much for your knowledge and assistance, I really appreciate it !! 

IMG_1244.PNG

IMG_1245.PNG

Whether it's worth grading, and whether it's worth more than melt, are very different questions. I can't find a price guide that values any 1879-CC, whatever variety, anywhere close to melt. It's always a premium coin, like just about all Carson City issues. I would probably not send a coin in for slabbing unless I thought it were a four-figure piece, but I have greater aversion to grading services than most collectors, so factor that in.

I can't see the whole coin, nor a close enough view of the surface to assess any cleaning (the obverse pic has me a little alert for that), but just by showing up and being a 79-CC that lacks extreme wear or serious damage, it's worth over $100. Based on the the obverse detail alone, more like $200, though evidence of cleaning would cut into that.

JKK - Thanks for the insight ... you seem to know your stuff, & that information is exactly what I needed to hear.   Really appreciate your time.

Thomas Kurr - Riiiight ?   I guess it just depends on what site you look at, because some price guides say 18 bucks, and some say 250 !!   Oh well, i wish you luck with your 79' also, and thanks for the reply.  

JKK - one more thing, here are a few more pics of the obverse in case you were curious.  I only zoomed in on that last pic because thats the only way to show the doubled "CC".   Thanks again.   =D

IMG_1317.thumb.jpg.14f006482b1fbfeb39179cb6c231ad97.jpg

IMG_1314.thumb.jpg.99dc8455efee384a7d58d898125b4ed4.jpg

I have a 2017 Blue Book, which claims to give approximate prices that you could expect a dealer to pay for your coin. It lists the 1879 CC over CC in VF20 (the lowest grade that it lists for Morgans) at $175. Assuming that is what we have here, I don't see your coin as a VF, and it does appear to have seen some cleaning at some point, but I would think someone trying to complete a set would be willing to give at least a hundred bucks for it.