• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1876S trade dollar question

4 posts in this topic

I purchased an 1876 S trade dollar from an estate sale.  I did not know anything about trade dollars and I trusted the person who told me the chop marks were often a part of the history of the coin.  I certainly did not know anything about it at time of purchase, but now I know a bit more about it.  I submitted the coin for grading and it came back AU details "Chopmarked".  I am going to end up selling this coin, but I am having a hard time finding auction results for anything other than the combination of cleaned AND chopmarked.  Am I accurate to assume that Cleaned AND chopmarks together is worse than the single designation of just chopmarked?  Is there a way to search auctions for the specific type of "details"?  

WIN_20180303_18_19_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180303_18_19_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180303_18_19_42_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180303_18_19_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180303_18_19_19_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180303_18_19_02_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180303_18_18_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180303_18_23_23_Pro.jpg

Some people like chopmarks. 

Nobody likes cleaning. 

So yes, an uncleaned chopmarked coin will sell for more than a cleaned coin. 

However, some (like me) view chopmarks as damage (same as graffiti), so it is still a damaged/details coin. It's one of those perplexing situations like "seawater damage" that just ruins a coin for me, but some people really like these types of things for their "history." 

thanks for your answer!

29 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Some people like chopmarks. 

Nobody likes cleaning. 

So yes, an uncleaned chopmarked coin will sell for more than a cleaned coin. 

However, some (like me) view chopmarks as damage (same as graffiti), so it is still a damaged/details coin. It's one of those perplexing situations like "seawater damage" that just ruins a coin for me, but some people really like these types of things for their "history." 

thanks for your answer!  Another follow up question is.... do the chopmarks have a guide to establish the coins travels?  Can a certain chopmark indicate it was in a specific location or did history erase that info?

There is a very interested and active group of collectors who seek these out. I just bought one for my expanded type set graded AU55. Paid $450 for it, bought it for the same reason you bought yours, it's an interesting piece of numismatic history. My cursory, and I mean cursory, research told me that there are reference books, or a reference book, and that some of these are quite valuable. It also appears that the more chops the better and yours appears to have an abundance. My only suggestion is that you keep researching.