• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you prefer your Steelies Toned? Or Prooflike?

11 posts in this topic

How about both! 

Prooflike steel cents are available, but quite scarce. There are 19 designated, with the highest being 3 at 67PL. Because of the popularity of this one-year-only issue, steel cents that are prooflike are usually very tightly held. They appear for sale very rarely. Additionally, the only known date in the wheat penny series designated PL is the 1943S. All this combines to make these very special coins. 

I saw this beauty recently, and knew that it had to be mine. After a bit of negotiation, it is now a part of my set. This gorgeous NGC 66PL coin upgrades a PCGS 67 I have which is semi-prooflike. 

The toned reverse is quite subtle. However, under the right light it is quite beautiful. Trying to take a picture that showed both the prooflike fields and the iridescent toning was quite hard! 

IMG_3294.thumb.JPG.37a645acc8b541c5634c4de983ddd9a4.JPG

IMG_3303.thumb.JPG.5d9d19a9c465b847c2dd62c31a3e76fb.JPG

Incredible prooflike example. Can you envision how this coin came about ? Maybe only a few die pair polished ? Fully struck and cameoed. Reverse rim goes away at 6:00. More description and explanation please.

On 3/3/2018 at 1:49 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

This gorgeous NGC 66PL coin upgrades a PCGS 67 I have which is semi-prooflike. 

Interesting that you would call a lower numerical grade an upgrade. I like that, and not because of a preference for one TPG over another - and, knowing you, that is not the reason that you made that statement. Even though our tastes are not exactly the same, (I don't mind chopmarks or fingerprint toning as much as you do, for example) I can certainly appreciate your eye for quality. And, I know that, at least to you, the eye appeal of this Prooflike cent makes it a definite upgrade from one showing less prooflike qualities, even if it graded lower. Well done. (thumbsu

I snagged one in the wild last week. I have been on a PL kick this month. Found a few interesting coins with strong PL qualifications. I'll post some as the arrive.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg