• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colorized Coins [Yay or Nay - and why?I ]

10 posts in this topic

I personally love colorized coins, such as the Peter Rabbit (Beatrix Potter series).

154185_Slab.jpg?v=20170905031620&width=9

I think that the extraordinary quality of the metals (proofs, usually) make a beautiful artistic piece,

then, upon this you add a whole new level of technology.

Sometimes the colour addition is an after-market addition, which I'm not _entirely_ sold on, but there have been a few coins from the world fair (some kookaburras) that are outstanding. (which have had some endorsement from the Perth Mint).

Berlin2017CSS.jpg

Do you have any thoughts on this topic?

Please share your opinions!

A bit gimmicky for me, but the upside is if it brings people into the hobby, especially young people...and the pieces you posted have great potential for doing so I think.....I am all for it.

I love them, but only if they are issued from the mint like that, and they are legal tender.  I collect the Disney coins issued by the New Zealand mint for the country of Niue, and some of them are really gorgeous.  

29 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

A bit gimmicky for me, but the upside is if it brings people into the hobby, especially young people...and the pieces you posted have great potential for doing so I think.....I am all for it.

I agree with you on both counts - not my cup of tea, but definitely appealing to some -  but, one down side to gimmicks and promotions is that sometimes, when the owner tries to sell their coins, they discover that the secondary market is just not there, and thus they end up losing money, giving them a bad taste for the hobby.

22 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I agree with you on both counts - not my cup of tea, but definitely appealing to some -  but, one down side to gimmicks and promotions is that sometimes, when the owner tries to sell their coins, they discover that the secondary market is just not there, and thus they end up losing money, giving them a bad taste for the hobby.

This is all to true. I am not a fan of striking such pieces in a manner and with a "legal tender" declaration and low quantity production that lulls the purchaser into a sense of economic gain. A campaign ad that encourages numismatic collecting and not economic gain, by the different Mints when such coins are issued, would be nice.

They're like Harry Potter. I myself did not care for Rowling's books. However, Harry Potter got large numbers of young people camping out overnight outside stores to buy books. Even if I weren't an editor by profession, as a believer in the value of reading I would have to endorse this. Same with this and the state quarters: if they spark kids' interest, this is me shutting up and being glad for their existence.

I have a few in my collection but they really have to speak to me. For the most part I look at them as something for a gift shop to sell. That said, I agree with others that if it brings in more collectors I'm all for it. 

8 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

This is all to true. I am not a fan of striking such pieces in a manner and with a "legal tender" declaration and low quantity production that lulls the purchaser into a sense of economic gain. A campaign ad that encourages numismatic collecting and not economic gain, by the different Mints when such coins are issued, would be nice.

Gimmicks and not real coins to me either.

Longer term, I expect most to be large proportional financial losers.  The overwhelming proportion are almost certainly destined to be lost in obscurity in the seemingly endless flood of NCLT issues which will continue to be struck as long as the buyers are willing to be separated from their money.

It won't matter if the buyer doesn't care, but somehow, I have the sneaking suspicion that most of them do and will.

One I do like is a replica using an old QEII Portrait which was also issued with other collectibles.  (It might be from her coronation in 1952.)  I liked it until I saw the prices being asked.  No idea if this is the real value but on eBay, ask was like $400 or more.  I believe these are issued by the RCM.