• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ephesos AE12?

5 posts in this topic

Wow. I really like the new board image uploader. As in, this one actually works for me.

I'm trying to get as much ID as possible on this coin, 11.9mm, 1.22g. The obverse shows the Ephesos bee and E, and the reverse the recumbent stag, but despite digging through Wildwinds for some time I haven't found a piece that gives me a confident catalog ID. Any Ionian Greek enthusiasts want to take a stab? The description that came with it is already wrong on measurements, so I don't have a lot of faith in their other ID details. I mean, anyone can weigh a coin, caliper it, and report that data accurately.

ephesosreverse.jpg

ephesosobverse.jpg

Possibly a Greek Ephesus 360BC- 130BC but the stag is usually right facing and only shows the front half of the stag.  Try looking in ForumAncientCoins.com or Vcoins.com

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

Do you think it was originally a 19mm coin worn down to 11.9mm, then? That does seem like a lot of metal lost, and very evenly.

Yes, that is my opinion. Remember size was an average, some flans were larger while others were smaller. No two exactly alike.

Also, looking at the surface of your coin I would guess it has spent considerable time underground in a not dry environment, and the copper/bronze has reacted with the soil.

Afterwards, I believe someone has removed the natural patina, probably in some type of strong acid, to expose bare metal.

Billy