• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a question about this Nero coin I want

9 posts in this topic

nerogoldfinishbacks-l1600.thumb.jpg.5a1185430782cee569ba293af1ba1fd1.jpgnerogoldfinishefronts-l1600.thumb.jpg.01639c7d19e302339f7feff01dc8f743.jpg

I am planning on buying this.

Does this Nero coin appear authentic  ? ( no red flags)

Can someone give ma an ID of what exactly the coin is? mint?RIC? etc

What grading would you give?

Thanks a bunch guys

Richard

nerogoldfinishbacks-l1600.jpg

its about 28mm

weight still unknown

does it appear genuine?

nerogoldenside.jpg

heres the side view you wanted. thank you

question- why cant i reply to my own thread? I can only edit my OP?

11 hours ago, RichardGozinia said:

nerogoldfinishefronts-l1600.thumb.jpg.01639c7d19e302339f7feff01dc8f743.jpg

I am planning on buying this.

Does this Nero coin appear authentic  ? ( no red flags)

Can someone give ma an ID of what exactly the coin is? mint?RIC? etc

What grading would you give?

Thanks a bunch guys

Richard

Diameter and weight are integral aspects of ancient coin identification. Without them, the task of identification becomes more difficult. If we had that information, we could narrow the denomination down more easily. As it is, given the color, we are left wondering whether it is copper or oddly discolored orichalcum. However:

AE As, Nero, 66 CE; Bare head right, globe at point of bust; IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P MAX TR P PP; no reverse legend, Victory flying left, holding shield with SPQR; SC in field; Lugdunum mint. RIC 543.

Grade is low, and I don't think it's uncommon, but Nero coins tend to carry a premium. I saw an auction for a nicer but not great one at Catawiki that hammered for US$45; assuming that the top bidder had a reason for so far outbidding the second highest, that one should probably have been a $30-35 coin. I'd infer this one more like $20-25 in retail value. That is just my best guess.

Hard to be certain about authenticity. I doubt it's a modern counterfeit, on the logic of "if I'm going to go to all that trouble I'm going to copy something more valuable." Doubt it's a contemporary counterfeit for the same reason. Possible, but I think unlikely. What is bothersome to me is the color, but I suspect the answer there is it was salvaged from a huge concretion or coin ball. If you have a chance to get a Nero coin that is identifiable and they don't want more than $20 for it, I myself would jump at it. If they are asking $50, I'd do a lot of searching for RIC 543 asses on auction sites and see what you think is reasonable in that grade, because I think $40 would be above market. If it were in better shape, of course, it would not take long to hit triple digits--but it's pretty crudulated.

Well at 28mm and given the design it's clearly a copper As of Nero.  I remember reading somewhere that all his bronze or copper in this case was minted after Rome's fire.

The As were copper and the Dupondii were orichalm. This has been recently cleaned and really doesn't have a grade as it's corroded and possibly electochemically cleaned.  The weight will be off too.

I don't know market values for coins in these grades. On the + side his name and titles can be clearly read.

I'd be inclined to think it is genuine but would like to see pix of the edge.

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 11:53 PM, RichardGozinia said:

question- why cant i reply to my own thread? I can only edit my OP?

If you can't reply, try quoting another poster, then deleting all or part of their post by touching and backspacing (assuming you are using your phone.)

Is there any reason that you want this coin in particular? Are you looking for a coin of Nero? Or specifically this design? 

The reason I ask is because this is a corroded, stripped, problem coin. I'd avoid this one and wait for an attractive example. 

2 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Is there any reason that you want this coin in particular? Are you looking for a coin of Nero? Or specifically this design? 

The reason I ask is because this is a corroded, stripped, problem coin. I'd avoid this one and wait for an attractive example. 

Okay Thanks. I wanted to know if it appeared genuine, So its just stripped?

9 minutes ago, RichardGozinia said:

Okay Thanks. I wanted to know if it appeared genuine, So its just stripped?

Yes, as another poster described above it was probably dug out of the ground. Those coins usually have a lot of corrosion or surface deposits. The coins are then cleaned to remove all the active corrosion, and what's left is a pitted, corroded, pink colored coin like you posted. Avoid coins that look like that unless it is a super crazy rare variety, which this isn't. 

I posted a side image

the edge is fairly flat compared to other roman coins of that era( but it doesnt look like it was cut..

can a copper coin of that are have a fairly flat( albiet corroded) edge? or would it be rounded throughout the ages?

RIC 543 nerogoldenside.jpg