• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The U.S. coin that found in phillipines.

20 posts in this topic

Well, I have some bad news for you.  You won't be able to sell them anywhere because they are all fakes.  First off, there was never a US Trade Dollar made dated 1797.  US Trade Dollars were minted from 1873 to 1885.  As for the two 1804 dated pieces, they both look like fakes of the 1804 US Silver Dollar in different metals.  The 1804 Silver Dollar is one of the premier rarities in all of US coinage with I believe 15 specimens known.  You would never find one randomly for sale.  All of your pieces are poorly struck and all appear to be made of base metal alloys and the designs do not look correct.  I'd say that they are Chinese counterfeits.

7 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

~ouch~ but true

I apologize if I came off abrupt or rude here.......I really try not to do that but I see how what I wrote could sound that way.  Sorry to all if I did.

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Whether an attempt at humor or not, that wasn't a nice way to welcome a new member.

I wasn't trying to be funny.

I also wasn't trying to be nice.

I was actually being serious.

I suppose I was reacting in frustration to turning on my computer and immediately being confronted with more examples of something that I have to deal with on an almost daily basis: Counterfeits,knock-offs, and cheap imported junk. As you may can tell, this is a very touchy subject for me.

But, I have sent the OP a private message, apologizing for my words, and offering any help that he/she might need. And if I offended you, Mark, or any other member of this board, I am sorry.

8 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I wasn't trying to be funny.

I also wasn't trying to be nice.

I was actually being serious.

I suppose I was reacting in frustration to turning on my computer and immediately being confronted with more examples of something that I have to deal with on an almost daily basis: Counterfeits,knock-offs, and cheap imported junk. As you may can tell, this is a very touchy subject for me.

But, I have sent the OP a private message, apologizing for my words, and offering any help that he/she might need. And if I offended you, Mark, or any other member of this board, I am sorry.

Thank you. And if it makes you feel any better, I, too, deal with inquiries about such coins on a daily basis.

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I apologize if I came off abrupt or rude here.......I really try not to do that but I see how what I wrote could sound that way.  Sorry to all if I did.

The ~ouch~ was in response to the OP especially if he paid any dinero for the examples shown. Sometimes the truth hurts. 

Hope fully you didn't pay much for them. I'm sure all of us have spent a little money to learn a lesson well learned. I know I have. Remember this forum now that you joined, and you can post before you buy and get help here. All the members that have responded to your post here are respected. 

39 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

It's a good thing that Mark Feld is keeping you guys straight around here!!

Who knows what honesty might offer up around here with some real truth. :D:D

The saying "keeping someone straight" refers to the miltiary tactic during the 50s and 60s of superior officers beating men with soap socks if they appeared or acted in homosexual fashion. The sergeants were said to be "keeping the soldiers straight". Although I myself am not offended by much, in this day and age that's a very politically incorrect phrase to use.

Mumu ---- ?  This place needs a bit more honesty on fakes and junk coins. There have been very many lately as the gates were opened to pics and all the low grade junk has surfaced. I changed this previous post as I insulted another member due to his  never insulting opinions. Coin collecting is just that --- coin collecting. Fakes are fakes and junk coins are junk. A new member with fake coins should be told what they are especially if they are fishing for a sale.

Just because someone new here posts some junk  does not hold them innocent from fraudulent actions. A scam is a scam and starting this thread in my opinion I see as a SCAM.

23 hours ago, mumu said:

The saying "keeping someone straight" refers to the miltiary tactic during the 50s and 60s of superior officers beating men with soap socks if they appeared or acted in homosexual fashion. The sergeants were said to be "keeping the soldiers straight". Although I myself am not offended by much, in this day and age that's a very politically incorrect phrase to use.

Seriously? I read this as in "keeping your facts straight" or "let's get this straight". You need to reach to find Rick's comment politically incorrect, although as things go these days....

Actually MUMU the full phrase is keeping someone on the straight and narrow and was shortened to just keeping someone straight in the 1930's and 1940's it originates in the 16th century and comes from the bible where Christ said Strait is the gate and narrow is the way in Mathew and was published in 1611 as published by Tim Lambert in "Some old phrases and their origins."

Additionally as I was one of the Non Com's during that time 1950's & 1960's and actually lived thru that era the phrase was Treating a malcontent to a" G.I. party " where socks were filled with soft soap bars, a blanket was stretched over the malcontent and they were pinned down while others treated them to "Harsh discipline"  and I never heard the words Keeping him straight. Superior Officers never once lifted a hand to an enlisted member. They delegated that to Non Commissioned officers commonly called Sergeants. 

In keeping with this thread, The coins represented are obviously a low grade fake . It is our responsibility not to be Net cops to ferret out crimes but to call out issues that a few have knowledge of,  this in keeping with the phrase " The only thing necessary for evil to abound is for a good man to do nothing." I applaud those who have the courage and conviction of " A GOOD MAN " to stand up and boldly be heard. 

13 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Mumu ---- ?  This place needs a bit more honesty on fakes and junk coins. There have been very many lately as the gates were opened to pics and all the low grade junk has surfaced. I changed this previous post as I insulted another member due to his  never insulting opinions. Coin collecting is just that --- coin collecting. Fakes are fakes and junk coins are junk. A new member with fake coins should be told what they are especially if they are fishing for a sale.

Just because someone new here posts some junk  does not hold them innocent from fraudulent actions. A scam is a scam and starting this thread in my opinion I see as a SCAM.

When I think or know a coin is a counterfeit, AT or whatever, I don’t sugarcoat my comments. However, when a poster - whether old or new - posts such coins, I don’t assume it’s a scam and I attempt to be cordial in my remarks. 

I receive dozens of emails every week, asking about and/or offering (often laughable) counterfeits and alleged errors for sale. I don’t assume or believe that each one is a scam. And no matter what I suspect, I attempt to be direct and informative, yet polite. I don’t think that makes me a “kiss-asss”, but others are free to disagree.

On 2/24/2018 at 12:36 AM, Bobsr said:

Actually MUMU the full phrase is keeping someone on the straight and narrow and was shortened to just keeping someone straight in the 1930's and 1940's it originates in the 16th century and comes from the bible where Christ said Strait is the gate and narrow is the way in Mathew and was published in 1611 as published by Tim Lambert in "Some old phrases and their origins."

Additionally as I was one of the Non Com's during that time 1950's & 1960's and actually lived thru that era the phrase was Treating a malcontent to a" G.I. party " where socks were filled with soft soap bars, a blanket was stretched over the malcontent and they were pinned down while others treated them to "Harsh discipline"  and I never heard the words Keeping him straight. Superior Officers never once lifted a hand to an enlisted member. They delegated that to Non Commissioned officers commonly called Sergeants. 

In keeping with this thread, The coins represented are obviously a low grade fake . It is our responsibility not to be Net cops to ferret out crimes but to call out issues that a few have knowledge of,  this in keeping with the phrase " The only thing necessary for evil to abound is for a good man to do nothing." I applaud those who have the courage and conviction of " A GOOD MAN " to stand up and boldly be heard. 

You are correct. It was adopted by the military from the bible. And you know what the bible says about homosexuality.