• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have errors to post?

51 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Makesnocents said:

1960 D  nickel some pretty good doubling on reverse  

IMG_20180223_180800433.jpg

IMG_20180223_182358325.jpg

That is some extensive strike doubling, but it is still strike doubling and not true hub doubling. This is also referred to as machine doubling. 

29 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

That is some extensive strike doubling, but it is still strike doubling and not true hub doubling. This is also referred to as machine doubling. 

I had posted in newbie (I'm new member ) was wondering about machine doubling and true double die actually .....all the letters on this coin show the doubling on the reverse it is pretty severe thanks physics 

Nice dime Bob 

im going to have to find one now I like it that much 

i saw where someone thought they found a 1969 s ddo I wanted one so I started looking ......I came close but I think it's just machine doubling but looks pretty cool

IMG_20180227_002819370.jpg

IMG_20180227_002724118_HDR.jpg

The term "shelf-like" is often used to describe this type of strike doubling, and can help distinguish it from a doubled die, since the doubled part is flat, as opposed to the rounded look of the normal devices. Imagine that you are at the beach making a sand castle, and using a bucket as a mold for the towers. You turn the bucket upside down to release the packed sand, and after lifting a bit, you slide the bucket sideways a inch or so, then lift it off. The top of the tower still retains the original shape of the bucket (the die), but you are left with a little shelf at the base, similar to the one in your picture. That is one explanation of how this type of doubling is formed.

Where was I?

Oh, yes:

If you squint your eyes and strain really hard, you can see the doubling of the flames. The rest of the reverse is doubled in varying degrees, but it is impossible to see that in my pics. :$

100_1547.thumb.jpg.1c893e622199fbb99b338f03df7078dc.jpg100_1548.jpg.e273b79eb69325b0eb4ef7ebf262f416.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There seems to be some confusion about which of these coins are mint errors and which are varieties. Coins are often submitted to NGC with the wrong service requested, so I suggest that submitters read this article first:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1655/Variety-versus-Mint-Error/

41 minutes ago, DWLange said:

There seems to be some confusion about which of these coins are mint errors and which are varieties. Coins are often submitted to NGC with the wrong service requested, so I suggest that submitters read this article first:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1655/Variety-versus-Mint-Error/

You are right, Mr. Lange. I do lump errors and varieties together, even though I know they are not the same. Thanks for the reminder.

I am new at this grading and viewing them with such detail, but having found some very nice coins, finer than I have ever known before, I am exploring this 1922 Proof on Silver with many signs of the double stamping on the face of the coin, both in the letters, on her neck, rays of sun, and the number 2, thus making it a great example of the press but it is not from S mint, and not wrong on the back.  It appears to be a pretty deep relief though the books say that was not done in 1922 but I am asking for knowledge on that.  There is clearly a break line of some sort in the mold as it has a slight crackline across the bottom of her neck from the letter T past the evidence of the double press on her neck.  I see very little evidence of being handled much, perhaps the worst by me before I realized how fine a gift I had in my hands.  

Please tell me if this is as unusual as it seems for this condition and being an error.  Is this deep relief on her hair?  If so, I am about to get it graded and wondered at what level I should take it to initially as I do not know what the potential top end on a coin like this could be in what I would deep MS high score, but I truly am only an amateur learning with coins that are in amazing condition, and a collection that is full of error coins, especially in the Kennedy half dollars from the early years.  More questions on them later but if that is your specialty, please let me know.  

Darby

S20180306_002.jpg

S20180306_003.jpg

S20180306_004.jpg

S20180306_005.jpg

S20180306_006.jpg

S20180306_007.jpg

S20180306_008.jpg

S20180306_009.jpg

S20180306_010.jpg

S20180306_011.jpg

Welcome to the NGC forum.

Although I am certainly no expert, especially when it comes to Peace dollars, I will toss my opinion out there. I think that the doubled lettering, the die crack across the lower part of the neck, if that is what it is, and the mushiness of the letters in PEACE, UNUM, etc. can all be explained by this being a late die state. If it is indeed uncirculated, and I have my doubts about that, it has too many hits to make it worth the expense of grading. Enjoy it as it is.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The shearing effect seen on the second 9 is due to damage from a counting machine or some other kind of contact. The coin was not made that way.

S20180206_0157.jpg.2d6c7c407ccee562bbdb11b1bc48f76b.jpg                                                                                                                             Here's another pic of the same 1969 s penny. I can't help but to think that it looks a little bit doubled. Sorry for being "That guy" but is this "Shelf doubling" ?