• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking Out for Pleasure

14 posts in this topic

Back in the day, I would routinely crack coins out of their tombs and put them in my folders or plastic holders, better to enjoy (no more, sadly). I'm about to do the same with a medal. My medals are displayed raw in wooden trays, but just bought one in a holder, which, unlike US coins, is somewhat unusual. Curious as to whether any members crack US coins out for display and enjoyment. 

I've cracked out a few low value coins to put in albums, but not many. Generally, I prefer to build Registry sets. The type of coin I usually buy is high grade, and the holder provides both protection and liquidity. 

Many people crack their coins for display, however, and if this is how you prefer to enjoy the hobby then go for it. Just understand the disadvantages as well as the advantages. 

It's like throwing money away IMO. You also get the added benefit of a potential downgrade and if you try to sell a coin you cracked, try getting fair money. Impossible. 

I stopped cracking out NCG and PCGS coins for my albums about 15 years ago. Figured I would need them slabbed when it came time to sell. However, I do still crack out coins from other grading services for my Dansco albums. But it is getting very difficult to find nice coins in those other slabs these days.

For my DANSCO ---- I place a slip of paper now where the coin goes stating grade and TPG.

Keep them in their slabs. There are too many coin albums for sale today on ebay with junk in them. My kids know the difference and the slabs will protect their partial inheritance when they get them.

Even a set of low ball $20 to $100 coins in slabs for say  a Lincoln Wheat set. The slabs will bring more than a raw cracked out album with the TPG inserts added.

Sure, I still crack them for my albums.  Since we're mostly talking MS65-66 1940 - 1964 Washingtons, or MS64 -MS64FBL Franklins it's no big deal.  I've certainly cracked a few MS63 Walkers (one common date MS65).  I've cracked a 1928 Peace dollar in AU53 and a '34-S in XF in the last couple of years.  I've cracked a number of common date IHC in MS64-65 BN/RB.  Will I lose money on them?  Yeah, most likely, but I lose money when I go out for a meal or getting gas, and once those are consumed they are over and done with.  

These cracked coins, IN THE APPROPRIATE ALBUMS, are a pleasure to look at, and I can flip through the pages in the COMPLETED albums at my leisure over and over again.  I have high quality Registry sets of slabbed Washingtons and Franklins, but laying them all out to look at is a pain in the , and most of the time they're in the SDB anyhow.

59 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Sure, I still crack them for my albums.  Since we're mostly talking MS65-66 1940 - 1964 Washingtons, or MS64 -MS64FBL Franklins it's no big deal.  I've certainly cracked a few MS63 Walkers (one common date MS65).  I've cracked a 1928 Peace dollar in AU53 and a '34-S in XF in the last couple of years.  I've cracked a number of common date IHC in MS64-65 BN/RB.  Will I lose money on them?  Yeah, most likely, but I lose money when I go out for a meal or getting gas, and once those are consumed they are over and done with.  

These cracked coins, IN THE APPROPRIATE ALBUMS, are a pleasure to look at, and I can flip through the pages in the COMPLETED albums at my leisure over and over again.  I have high quality Registry sets of slabbed Washingtons and Franklins, but laying them all out to look at is a pain in the , and most of the time they're in the SDB anyhow.

Excellent. Laying out slabs just isn't as enjoyable. I like the idea of an AU type set in an album as well. 

23 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Excellent. Laying out slabs just isn't as enjoyable.

Especially when they are a mish-mash of companies and/or different generations of holder.  Just doesn't look good.

And no I don't crack out, I only buy raw coins.