• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone tell me about this coin?

8 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, K. H. said:

Hi!

I'm new here. Nice to meet you.

I got this coin (token ?), but I couldn't identify.

If anyone know about this coin, Please tell me about it.

Best regards.

Don't know if this helps in the least, but the writing under the rooster seems to read "?al numbrak". The first letter is indistinct. Other side seems to say 'mbarak na.' Barak is 'bless' in Arabic, though I'm not sure if it applies given that the style of the reverse lettering looks more south-central Asian than Arabian. If I had to take the wildest possible guess, I'd say it's a blessing token of some sort from some predominantly Muslim or Arabic-alphabet-using (lot of overlap there) country east of Iran. It doesn't look like money; with no evident denomination or trappings of state. If I had to take a wild stab at an age, I'd say the 1950s.

8 minutes ago, JKK said:

Don't know if this helps in the least, but the writing under the rooster seems to read "?al numbrak". The first letter is indistinct. Other side seems to say 'mbarak na.' Barak is 'bless' in Arabic, though I'm not sure if it applies given that the style of the reverse lettering looks more south-central Asian than Arabian. If I had to take the wildest possible guess, I'd say it's a blessing token of some sort from some predominantly Muslim or Arabic-alphabet-using (lot of overlap there) country east of Iran. It doesn't look like money; with no evident denomination or trappings of state. If I had to take a wild stab at an age, I'd say the 1950s.

>> JKK

Thank you for your reply !

Your opinion is very beneficial. I couldn't get any information through the coin, because I can't read Arabic.

It is interesting that the difference of lettering style suggest the country (or area).

I will treasure it!

8 minutes ago, K. H. said:

>> JKK

Thank you for your reply !

Your opinion is very beneficial. I couldn't get any information through the coin, because I can't read Arabic.

It is interesting that the difference of lettering style suggest the country (or area).

I will treasure it!

You're very welcome. I don't read much Arabic, but I have a decent basis in the abjad (alphabet). If you want to get a better feel for the difference in the way Arabic characters are written, look at some Saudi coin images, then some Iranian (has three additional letters not found in Arabic). Notice how, on the Iranian coins, the downward swoops sort of angle (high right to low left), whereas the Saudi writing uses the more leveled swoops of the thuluth (the name of a calligraphic --script in Arabic, meaning 1/3, referring to the way one holds the pen) --script. If you were to then look at coins of Afghanistan, the Muslim princely states of India, and such, you would see that the writing more resembles the Iranian style than the Saudi. I'm just glad this was in a somewhat readable --script; there are some that can be very difficult. Best of luck figuring out what you've got.

On ‎2018‎年‎2‎月‎12‎日 at 12:43 AM, the_Thing ® said:

Oh yea, I've seen many Arabic/Islamic coins and I'd guess that its a token. I could very well be wrong though.

>> the_Thing®

Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry for delay.

I would be grateful if you got more information and send me!

Best regards..

The main reasons to think it's a token:

• It doesn't seem to display a denomination. Coins typically do.
  • It doesn't display any evident symbols of religious or state power. Coins typically do. Coins are, and have always been, propaganda for overlords.
  • It looks to be made of brass or aluminum-brass, which is pretty cheap. Tokens aren't about intrinsic metal value.
  • It doesn't look like any coin of any country from the era to which it appears to belong (I'd guess 1950-1975).

I know a forum where they could probably tell you, if you want to PM me.