• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Not Genuine"

5 posts in this topic

I had a few silver dollars I received from my Dad, most of them Morgans. But one was an 1855 Seated Liberty. I looked up all the dollars in a redbook and found that the 1855 was very valuable. I estimated it to be about a 20. Maybe even 25. So, I mailed it in to NGC to get it graded and encapsulated. I thought I could get $2,000-$3000 for it. It was returned in a flip that said "Not Genuine" with no explanation. I don't see a problem. I have seen many counterfeit Chinese coins for sale on eBay, but Chinese coins look new, not circulated. Anyone have a clue on this?

1855 dollar.jpg

My guess would be China, since they seem to have no qualms about knocking off most any coin from which they think that they might be able to make a profit, with no regards to morality, but I suppose it could have come from any place where a crook might choose to reside. Did you send off any of the Morgans to be authenticated?