• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned 92 Columbian

5 posts in this topic

Recent Acquisition. The toning looks to me to be authentic natural toning. I have looked at a lot of toned Columbians and have not seen this vibrant and extent of the rich colors. It does not in my opinion appear to be artificial. The shiny spot of hair behind the jaw is detailed and toned as well it just has reflection from camera.What are your thoughts? Grade? I will be submitting this coin hoping for a real gem.

Toned 1892 Columbian_Rev.jpg

Toned 1892 Columbian_Obv.jpg

My first impression is AT...but by no means would I consider myself an expert...there will be others that will comment that have a lot more experience than me.  I really don't think NGC would give that one a full grade....If you are trying to get it in a slab with a grade I'd try pcgs....they are a lot more liberal than ngc... 

After looking at it on my computer screen it does look a little more NT to me now.  I think it would have a good chance with PCGS.  If the toning isn't covering up anything in the picture, and the luster is good. I think it could go ms66

Recent posts ATS suggest that PCGS is tightening up on toning also. No expert here, but the look is AT based solely on posts of other coins. I would send it in - if it grades well it's very pretty and worth some coin. Small risk, big reward. 

I would say that the color is AT because it appears to be "on the surface" and in or part of the surface as it would be on a naturally toned piece.

Here is a piece that is naturally toned to show you the difference. I am sorry, but I don't know how to post more than one picture per post here.

ColumbianO.JPG

That is very clearly AT. No question in my mind. The splotchiness of the colors, and the seemingly random color combinations, is the number one key here. Those shades of blue, pink, and purple don't appear on a coin in that pattern without help.