• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1932 Australian Florin Needs a Grade

9 posts in this topic

Found this today {Where it should not have been} The NGC value chart recons it worth a bit. I really have no Idea of the Grading. Looks like a fairly good old coin to me , can still see the feathers on the Emu and the Kings Crown and top of his coat stand out allright. Could not see any M mint mark under the date.  Could some there give me a rough clue as to what grade it might be. Thank you Cheers

P2050957.JPG

P2050963.JPG

P2050959.JPG

On 2/5/2018 at 10:46 PM, Cow Bay Bob said:

Could some there give me a rough clue as to what grade it might be.

No grade is possible, as it is not a 1932 florin.

It is a Chinese copy of a 1932 Australian florin.

32evidence.JPG

If is a Chinese copy, it sure fooled me. The Chinese are doing better with their artificial toning, at least on the obverse.

What's the give away, the detiles on the reverse, which are uneven?

9 hours ago, BillJones said:

What's the give away, the detiles on the reverse, which are uneven?

Hello.

Firstly the overall appearance: Australian eBay has been rife with these and it's become something of an issue, we are quickly learning to spot them.

The broken Emu leg is a dead giveaway and appears on both images here and a high percentage of Chinese fakes. That would be extremely rare on the genuine coin.

It's wear on high points is oddly inconsistent with wear elsewhere, and the bed of grass and numerals are both incorrectly formed.

The milling is not uniform on Chinese fakes  and denticles are not evenly spaced.

I have handled these and they weigh close to 9 grams - genuine Australian George V florins weigh 11.31 grams. They fail ping, ice, magnet slide, specific gravity, and caliper tests.

China offer these coins both as 'unc' and artificially colored and they are skilled at creating the appearance of patination and aging.

China also sell these made from 90% silver at a premium price, but they too are easily spotted by an experienced eye.

Here is an excellent article for further reading:

https://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/research/new-counterfeit-kids-block-chinese-dud-coins

Thank you Coin Spec for Breakin' me Heart !!!  Thought I had a Bewdy but really had S.F.A.   But seriously Thank You. What a Jolt of education.  Broken Emus Leg ?? Looks more like a Dingo chomped right through it.  The article you recomended for further reading was excellent. I don't think I'm up to declaring war on China for Fostering these these Scoundrels, But I certainly  agree with educating Mugs like me to be be more aware of whats out there.  Thank You Again