• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a dropped letter or mint mark

8 posts in this topic

What it is I don't know. I'm guessing at a spot of grease in the die. The mint mark is supposed to be on the reverse, so the S-like look may not have anything to do with an actual S.

7 hours ago, JKK said:

What it is I don't know. I'm guessing at a spot of grease in the die. The mint mark is supposed to be on the reverse, so the S-like look may not have anything to do with an actual S

Wouldn't adding grease (or mass) to the die press deeper into the planchet? However the S appearing on the obverse is raised. Yes the S mint mark is also located on the reverse, in its appropriate position. Although the pictures aren't the best quality, the S on the reverse and on the obverse appear to be the same exact size, design style, angle and distance from the rim. Which leads me more towards rpm in the wrong location. 

14 hours ago, JKK said:

What it is I don't know. I'm guessing at a spot of grease in the die. The mint mark is supposed to be on the reverse, so the S-like look may not have anything to do with an actual S.

It could also be a die gouge that has a shape similar to an S.  Just a thought.  As far as a misplaced mintmark, I doubt it.  As you said JKK, the mintmarks were on the reverse, so it would be logical to conclude that one would not find its way to the obverse.  People at the Mint make mistakes, no doubt, but I doubt a mistake like that would happen.  It's just too big of a blunder.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:59 AM, coinman1794 said:

This is post-mint damage to the 2, and it happens to resemble a deformed S.

Appreciate all the help guys

I tried taking a better pic the S looks pretty good to me call me crazy 

The s is nearly same height as the date 20180209_155408.thumb.jpeg.4a2b4201787e5c896f44c010eb5b4e3b.jpeg

On 2/8/2018 at 9:59 AM, coinman1794 said:

This is post-mint damage to the 2, and it happens to resemble a deformed S.

Appreciate all the help guys

I tried taking a better pic the S looks pretty good to me call me crazy 

The s is nearly same height as the date 20180209_155408.thumb.jpeg.4a2b4201787e5c896f44c010eb5b4e3b.jpeg