• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1966 Dime question - was it clipped at the mint? (My very first NGC Forum post I think :) )

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I'm a long time poster on the CGC boards but don't think I have ever posted over here.. really know zero about coins except I like to spend them :)

I am going through a collection of coins I acquired w/ a comic collection and this dime is part of the collection.

Wondering if anyone could shed light on why this 1966 dime is clipped - was this done by somebody outside the mint or did it happen during production.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

P.S. - If this is in the wrong thread many apologies ..let me know and I'll fix it!

1966 dime front.jpg

1966 dime back.jpg

1966 dime side.jpg

I posted an answer to this earlier and now its gone. Oh well, in my opinion, looking at the reverse makes me think that this is a clip and not post mint damage. 

They don't really bring a whole lot of premium. They are just kind of cool to have and there are people who collect them. I wouldn't spend the money but if you want it authenticated, then that's up to you. I would also wait for others to chime in as I'm not an expert on these things. I could be wrong. 

It looks like a genuine clipped or incomplete planchet to me.  Typically these are worth a very modest amount, less than what it would cost to have it slabbed,